993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing final drive on a tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004 | 12:37 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Default Changing final drive on a tiptronic?

I've done a quick search with no joy. So, what may be the problems to solve in changing final drive on a tiptronic??

It may be an easy way to re-gear, as I don't think many of us need 165mph top speed!

BUT, the tiptronic control unit may get a bit confused if it compares engine speed with MPH.

Does anyone think its possible WITHOUT reprogramming the tip control unit??

Maybe Steve Weiner or Rob Linton know the answer to this one..
Old 12-13-2004 | 07:40 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

John, trying to give this thread a boost. I'd be interested in the answer also.
Old 12-14-2004 | 12:02 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have asked this question before and never got an answer. Of course my question was buried at the end of a long discussion on the manual final drive.

Dave
Old 12-14-2004 | 03:04 AM
TargaTango
Racer

John, My only major disappointment with my 993 is the Tiptronic. There just are not enough gears closely enough spaced. For example, I can be screaming in first with my foot planted and when I change up, the revs plummet to such an extent that I am outside any meaningful part of the torque curve and it takes too long to build back up. Having not mechanical background, I am not sure what is required. However, I presume that what is needed is regearing of all 4 gears or at least the last three, not just the fourth as I understand your post to be suggesting.

On December 10 I started a thread entitled “Tiptronics, Remapping / Rechipping, Airboxes, RSRs, and attempted to get Tiptronic owners to register their interest on the thread so that we could demonstrate to Steve Weiner of Rennsport that there would be a market if he developed a Tiptronic remap/chip. Unfortunately, only GratefulJED responded positively. He generously offered to provide his car to Steve to do the chip testing. So, I can only assume that there are few Tiptronic owners that read the 993 Board, or that they are satisfied with the operation of the Tiptronic.

I would note that I use my Tiptronic exclusively in the manual gate. I am not talking here about getting better performance from the atrocious fully auto function of the box as suggested by some of the replies to my previous post. I am not sure that a Tiptronic ECU remapping / rechipping would solve our problems but it sure would help. But ultimately I think what I need is 4 closely spaced gears. Unfortunately, it looks like all I can do about this is dream.

All the best,
Old 12-14-2004 | 03:10 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

You have to understand that tips are the redheaded step children of this crowd; however, if you could convince RUF that we need say ten or so of their 5 speed 993 tip trannys s then not only would we be able to beat up on the 6 speeds, we would be able to do it better than we can right now.
Old 12-14-2004 | 05:03 AM
TargaTango
Racer

John D, I presume the RUF 5 speed box would not come cheap. However, I would be seriously interested. Will some other Tipers come forward so that we can explore this further?

All the best,
Old 12-14-2004 | 06:17 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

I have two 993 cabs - one I keep one in LA which is a 6-speed and the other in Hong Kong which is a tip. As you have all pointed out, the tip even in manual mode leaves much to be desired for spirited driving. If you aren't already doing so, you may want to consider left foot braking. Left foot braking improves the performance of tip cars as you are better able to keep the engine in the power band and you can accelerate out of corners much faster. It also helps in loading up the front and increase the ability to oversteer the car in turns. Take a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it tips can actully be quite fun
Old 12-14-2004 | 10:15 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

I too am extremely dissapointed with the lack of available torque in my tiptronic. I have temporarily solved the problem by installing the TPC Supercharger. I have a noticable amount of available torque through all four gears now but I know that the supercharged 6 speed is still much faster due to the shift points on our cars. I am eager to hear if anything comes of this thread.

Dale
Old 12-14-2004 | 10:26 AM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

I would be interested but of course it would have to be something that is cost effective. I don't see spending $5000 on the transmission of my particular car. It would be a wiser investment for some of us tippers to simply trade for a manual and do a LWF conversion or the G51(can't remember if thats the right designation) gear change.
Old 12-14-2004 | 10:36 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

I wonder if anyone has replaced the 4 speed Tiptronic unit with a 996/Boxster 5 speed unit. The Boxster loaner I have used all have Tips and they seem more responsive to shifts.
Old 12-14-2004 | 11:39 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Chris

I wasn't suggesting changing the ratio of fourth gear. Changing the final drive ratio (ie the ring gear & pinion) would wffectively change all the gear ratios driven through it. So, while there would still be too few ratios & gaps between them , at least you would get better acceleration in 1st - 4th. So, changing the final drive to limit top speed to, say 145, would also reduce top speed at redline in all gears - giving better acceleration & possibly more fun!! Still don't know if tiptronic controller is reprogrammable though.
Old 12-14-2004 | 11:51 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Add another one to the list of "interested" parties.
Old 12-14-2004 | 11:58 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

ANDIAL, Santa Ana, CA sells a ring and pinion for about $2,300 and then there is the 10 to 20 hours of labor to install it. At about $100 an hour for labor, you are looking at $3,300 to $4,300 for this mod, I am sorry to report.
Old 12-14-2004 | 12:55 PM
MPB993
Instructor

Hello,

just as an aside I also have a 993 tip with a TPC supercharger on it. Although not quite as quick as the manual I still managed 60 in 4.4s and 100 in 9.7s 1/4 mile was 12.6 . As measured on a calibrated gtech competition. Although my boost is a little higher than standard and i have methanol injection to help cool the charge. Its now been like this for 35k miles and is still going strong. I now find that 1st is just right, 2nd is immediately on song along with 3rd. Dropping from 6800 to 5000 at the shifts.

I'm more than happy with the tip right now as my performance on the gtech comp is midway between an M3 and a 996 turbo with 450bhp.

I have posted my results on gtechs forum so if you get the download tool from their site you can compare a whole range of cars that have uploaded data.

Cheers for now, Mark.
Old 12-14-2004 | 01:04 PM
MPB993
Instructor

Here's a copy of the file output from the gtech comp run for those interested.

Cheers, Mark.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Labview Document.zip (64.8 KB, 27 views)

Quick Reply: Changing final drive on a tiptronic?