Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT Rant - become a member!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:22 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OT Rant - become a member!!

I'll keep it brief. John D & Jenn are busting their ***** (sorry Jenn!!) so we can have a place to share our passion, learn stuff about our cars and argue about water cooling vs air cooling!

Those who haven't already done so, I'm sure John & Jenn would really appreciate the effort - hell, you've probably got 20 bucks down the back of your sofa!

Rant over!
Old 12-09-2004, 05:23 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL.. is there that many non-paying members here???
Old 12-09-2004, 05:27 PM
johnfm
Drifting

unfortunately.....on some of the other boards its hard to find the paid up members!!

Anyway, I've had my rant - I'll get on with enjoying the forum!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I hear ya, John. A Rennlist membership is no bank breaker.

Yes, Chris, there are actually realtively few members, although it seems as if members do more posting than non-members. The following is something that John D. wrote recently in the OT forum:

Originally Posted by John D.
So - unique e-mail addresses subscribed to those Rennlist e-mail areas are roughly 80,000+/- folks.... Add back the "other" Rennlist areas (like the 944 Registry, etc..) - you have a total of about 125-135 thousand "Registered" somewhere in Rennlist within the last year and are still using Rennlist....

...all Rennlist Members represent less then 2.3% of the total Rennlist population - and probably less if we took folks down when they actually "expired" - but, we try to give them a few months to reply to the renewal notices Jen send out via USPS and e-mail... it would probably be less then 2% - and closer to 1%.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:43 PM
solsrch
Pro

Considering the value per dollar for what is provided - this is really scary. I knew some folks were parasites, but I had no idea what the proportion was of paying vs. skating Rennlisters.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

I am shocked at the numbers. I can understand the person who has never, and believes they will never, own a Porsche not becoming a member. But a Porsche owner benefiting so much for so little? Much less a spamming non-member. Cheapskate freeloaders, if I may be permitted a temporary lapse of impolite expression. Nomex donned. Let the flames fly.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:08 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Karma gentlemen and ladies...Karma.

Keep smiling, keep paying for membership, dont worry about others.... I for one am happy to support the site, but I am also very happy to welcome those to our community who have decided not to pay for whatever reason at this time...

I am in a peaceful mood tonight.... Tis the Season, you know...

Old 12-09-2004, 10:12 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

I have a question. I've paid my membership but my avatar doesn't reflect that. Anyone know why?
Old 12-09-2004, 11:09 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KraZy007
I have a question. I've paid my membership but my avatar doesn't reflect that. Anyone know why?
I went through this at first too...

Just send a PM to JohnD and let him know.... ...that's what I did and within a few days it was all taken care of!!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:28 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceboyd
I went through this at first too...

Just send a PM to JohnD and let him know.... ...that's what I did and within a few days it was all taken care of!!
Oh okay, thanks!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Jenn
Admin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KraZy007
Hi Jimmy,

I thinks its because the email address you registered for the forums with doesn't match the email address you paid for your membership....so I couldn't find you when your membership came in. Please email me at jmunson@rennlist.net with your name or member number and I can tie in your membership with your forum registration.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Jennifer
Old 12-10-2004, 12:01 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think John and Jenn's policy of not requiring paying memberships in order to post and participate in this forum is commedable and I do see a certain wisdom in having as broad a community as possible, but of course you will get some "freeloaders". I admit that I was one for a few mos but eventually I came around to joining...it really was not about the money, but about hastle of registering and remitting funds, etc. I also admit to being more helpful and more tolerant of paying members vs non-paying...it's not a conscious effort but I do notice that I have a tendency to respond more positively to threads posted by Members (I will distinguish paying Rennlisters with a capital "M" vs a lower case "m" ).

My suggestion in the past to Members was 1) limit group buys to Members; and 2) if you are selling or giving away something on Rennlist, give priority to paying Members....or ask non-paying members to pay a $20 premium . In the past I have tended to trust Members more than non-payers and have shipped things before receiving payment...and have also send checks/paypal before receiving goods....for me, trust has never been an issuse when it came to dealing with Members.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:12 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I can understand someone with less than 50 posts not being a member. After that I think someone has decided they enjoy RL. At that point common courtesy should be enough to obligate them to join. There are a lot of people who, based on the cars they profess to own or be buying, would never even think about spending that little amount of money on dinner or a movie but they are too damn cheap to pay to play John's game. STEP UP, MOOCH
Old 12-10-2004, 12:35 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

2% is almost incredible and absolutely lame!

I for one, will pay more attention to membership status and start gently reminding people that there are tangible benefits to membership.
Besides it's the right thing to do.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:19 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Shhhesssh - Johnfm - I just replied to this thread in the 964 Forum!!! How many did ya' put it in!! Anyway - I'll copy and paste that reply here - as Mark copy and pasted the numbers, and many of you have some terrific comments/suggestions and inpout. Jen's and my thanks for that - and moreso - for your support of this site... The reply below was in response to that 964 thread/comments.

My Best to all - and simply - thank you for your comments and support....

John D.
~~~ copied post ~~~
I believe John’s post was predicated on the phone call yesterday, where Johnfm had been trying to contact me personally regarding several items we needed to discuss. It was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to finally speak to John in person – but I apologized for the fact that I have been difficult to reach. In short – I gave John the reason – which is – to be blunt – that I’ve taken on yet another part time job to offset the additional costs of running and hosting this site with the new and incremental circuits. The hours of that additional job are evenings until 9:30 PM as well as all day (9am – 9pm) weekends.

Unfortunately – the “perception” of Rennlist a huge money-making venture for Jen and I couldn’t be farther from the truth. The cost of running 14 servers, 3 high-speed circuits (T1s and MUXED SDSLs) hardware maintenance, software, overhead, insurance, etc. – isn’t entirely offset by the site Sponsors and Members. In fact – the difference in it’s monthly operation cost and revenue is paid directly via Jen’s real job and now my three jobs. That is reality. I believe that “reality” was very different then John’s perceptions – and frankly – he isn’t alone in that “conventional thinking”.

To that point – I often get e-mails from folks who will be visiting my area of the country, asking to meet at the Rennlist “corporate headquarters” and meet some of the staff and have a tour. Well – certainly – just bring some beer and have a seat in my “office” which I run one of my jobs from – and you can touch all the servers and watch the blinking lights flicker as 250,000 folks a day from around the world log into various parts of Rennlist. It’s an amazing show – and it all takes place in an office – over my garage. Someday – perhaps we can afford a “real office” with chairs, furniture and maybe a full staff – besides Jen and I. You would be shocked, as well to know that out of the 300 – 500 e-mails a day to my ADMIN account alone (not including the Rennlist e-mail lists, my PMs, etc.) – are addressed to the “Rennlist Staff”, and yet – somehow – I’m the only “staff” in place to read and reply to them?

Further – why would I ever make the site “Member” only? That’s sounds terrifically like an “exclusive” Porsche or automobile “club”? Nope – not here. The day the site goes “Member Only” is the day Jen and I have had enough. But, I don’t see that occurring in the near future, as we are simply enthusiasts – I’d venture to say – just like you. We have owned Porsches for decades – and I still do all my own work on our 993, 964 and classic ’68 911. In short – we are simply a microcosm of what Rennlist is all about.

Finally – this site is like a PBS Station. Many folks watch it – but only a small portion choose to support it – while many more don’t. I look at John’s post very differently then someone taking a beating in a thread because other Members are proud and protective of Rennlist. Rather – like PBS – John’s post “is the thread” – so you are entirely free to “change the station” by not reading it at all, rather then flame some unsuspecting non-member who is spamming the site for their own commercial benefit. In my mind – these are two separate and distinct issues.

So - while I understand your view - please also understand that without Members and Sponsors, Jen and I couldn't afford the thousands of dollars a month it takes to keep Rennlist on-line 24 hours a day, each and every day - 365 days a year.... So - I view John's plea/thread as a general PBS advert. Nothing more. No flaming targetting one individual - and moreso - a simple statement that indeed - Jen and I do "bust our *****" to financially support so as to provide this site to any and all Porsche enthusiasts. Perhaps more then most know.

Just my $0.00001 from my end of the telescope. As for me – now I have to get some work finished up from one job – so I can spend Friday evening at another. That – again – is my reality.

John D.
~~~ end copied post ~~~

Quick Reply: OT Rant - become a member!!