Sponsored by:

Steering column shedding bits!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 07:25 AM
Nigel - UK 993C2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering column shedding bits!

A week ago I started to get a tinkling noise from the steering column area (the area of the pod from which the indicator/wiper stalks protrude)when applying significant amounts of lock. I didn't get the noise when the wheel was not being rotated. The noise sounded like a small piece moving round loose within a housing. At the end of my drive I found a small piece of black plastic in the driver footwell - about half an inch long, generally Y-shaped and showing signs of having sheared off on the neck of the 'Y'.

This week, on full lock something slightly obstructed rotation of the steering wheel (which was a bit unsettling!) It was as if there was a ratchet on wheel rotation. Another bit of plastic then dropped out into the footwell. This 2nd bit was the same as last week's bit, except this one was rather mangled - presumably it was the obstruction.

Since the 2nd bit fell out I've got no tinkle/rattle, nor is wheel movement obstructed. I can't help but think though that Mr Porsche probably intended the broken off plastic bits to serve some purpose. I intend to get the car checked out as soon as I can find the time. Anyone had this problem themselves or have any idea what these bits are? I've done an archive search and come across no related posts.

Thanks in advance.

Nigel
Old 05-25-2003, 12:08 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts
Nigel,
I purchased my car with this unsettling noise as well. I can hear it ratcheting, too, but I think that the parts may have already fallen out prior to my purchase. The noise got louder, until finally the cruise controll stopped working. This is the next project on my list. I asked my dealer about it, and he said that the "pod" that houses the all the stalk-type controls is prone to failure. Also the air-bag contacts can break off as well. I have not been to overtly concerned about it, since it hasn't obstructed my driving safety.

All that being said, it IS time for me to fix it. Your should evaluate your situation, and see what it warrants. (Standard disclaimer.) There is a good DIY on Robin's site, P-car.com that covers the removal of the steering wheel and the turn-signal pod. That should help you on your way.

Please remember to disconnect your battery and wait a while before working near the airbag! If I get to this problem this weekend, I will try to update you on my findings.

Incidentally, the turn-signal pod is only available as a unit, and it is a bit expensive.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Steering column shedding bits!