993 Forum 1995-1998

Bosch oil filters!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bosch oil filters!!

Having recently changed the oil and oil filters (2) on my 993 ,I realized that the old ones removed were OEM Porsche.The new ones that have been placed (Bosch) were slightly different in length but the threads corresponded and were ok as per the Garage manager.
I was not quite at ease with the situation and checked the Bosch Dealer for the part number of the filters ,and it turned out to be that the long one is originally for the 928 while the small one is for the 924 or something like this.
Bosch does not do filters for the 993 ,2002 Bosch catalogue does not specify an oil filter for the 993.
Only fuel and air.

Do you beleive i should leave them until next oil change or change them now with OEM.

Thanks,
Georges
Old 05-24-2003, 05:38 PM
JSA993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it would be in you best interest to remove them both and replace with the correct filters. Bosch is a very reptuptable company; if they made filters specifically for our 993's, they would list them in their catalog. "Corresponding threads" has nothing to do with a filter's compatibility to a specific application. What matters is the diameter of the rubber seal in relation to the mount, and the locations/size of the oil inlet and outlet areas in the filter.

Why risk major engine damage over the price of a couple of filters?

Quick Reply: Bosch oil filters!!