Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Dieseling / Decarbonisation help wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gabi,

Is air mass meter the same as the MAF sensor? If so, it may have something to do with the K&N filter you have on the car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=air+mass

Glad to hear it's running better.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:06 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kkim: You may well be right, the car always behaves badly after a service, so it could be to do with excess oil on the K&N filter causing problems with the MAF sensor. I am going to have it replaced to be on the safe side. Since it was cleaned it has made a huge difference.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:31 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Well, I have made some progress. After a great deal of investigatory work with my mechanic, we decided to try a different air mass meter, having eliminated vacum leaks, broken distributer drive belt, bad gas, O2 sensor and a few others.

The air mass meter off another car was used in mine and the air filter was left off during the test drives, sure enough there was a marked improovement. Putting my sensor back on again without the filter made a pinking noise though not as pronounced as before. Deciding to test it for a day or two with the other cars sensor he puts the filter on for me to take the car away, and then..... "clatter, clatter clatter" the pinking noise returns, so he removes the K&N cone filter and assembally and puts on a stock air box with a motorsound cover, so far no pinking so fingers crossed, but the car still runs on from time to time still progress is progress.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:25 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gabi,

I don't know if this will help or not, but might be worth a try... disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. In my previous cars, this was done to reset the ECU or in our cars the DME. The DME might still have some memory of the past driving parameters with the K&N installed. By clearing it, you'll start off with the stock map and the car will relearn with the new filter/housing in place.

Good luck... HTH.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Gabriel:

I'm very pleased to hear that you & your mechanic apparently fixed the problem.

I must tell you that we NEVER use those damned cone-style air filters in leiu of the Porsche factory airbox. Power losses and running issues, as well as less than effective filtering (for street cars) are the reasons.

Porsche A.G. did a superb job of designing and building an airbox for these single throttle intake systems and the majority of the aftermarket offerings make more noise, not more HP. I sincerely hope that others refrain from spending their hard-earned dollars on things like these and save those resources for upgrades that actually help.

Please keep me posted.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:27 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I have to say that the car now absolutely flys, the difference an air intake can make is incredible, I would strongly urge anyone thinking of using a cone filter not to, it has caused me headaches ever since I bought the car with the cone filter installed. It seems that the filter layer itself actually contracted restricting the air flow, no matter how often it was cleaned out the same problem would always come back. I actually find the motor sound air box louder than the cone filter I had on the car.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:08 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Smile

Ok now that the detonation issue is solved, it seems that the "run-on" issue may just be the flywheel noise that others have quite often

Thaks to everyone for their input on this, I am now a happy camper. Rennist truely is a great source of information!

Quick Reply: Dieseling / Decarbonisation help wanted.