Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New 993 owner....Can I change my own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 07:10 PM
kickit
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 993 owner....Can I change my own oil?

I love to read through all the information. I love my 96' 993.
My question is about doing my own oil change.
Can someone give me the step by step procedure. I can't see
giving the dealer $270.00 for it. It seems a bit high to me.
Thanks from Florida.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

http://p-car.com/diy/changeoil/ Read this and you can answer you own question.......you should be able to if you don't mind crawling around a little....and post a bigger pic of your 993!! AK
Old 12-05-2004, 07:31 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

The oil change on the 993 is not a 15 minute exercise. I have found that the range of prices for an oil change (with both filters) by dealers and independents can be from $140 to $250. You might want to price the oil change with a few others.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:40 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Your first 993 oil change will take the longest, after that, it will be easy for you to do whenever you please. Read the p-car.com DIY as it is the best instruction.. Just make sure you get a big enough drain pan without any type of restriction on it, like those kind with plastic mesh screen on it. I prefer the drain pan without any type of top on it, just totally open.
Hope this helps!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:47 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Here is what I post in another thread today regarding oil changes.

Now, changing the oil in a 911 is not easy. Be ready for a BIG gush of oil to come flooding out into your catch reservior. Wear gloves to protect from the heat. Your reservior should be 15qt/lt min.
How do I know this? Well, lots of rags later..... You get the idea. I was wearing gloves, not a total idiot. They had a small hole in one finger, only half an idiot that me makes.

Has anyone ever tried a cockpit plug? These have a butterfly like plug with a drain hole in the center. When loosened the oil will drain. The entire plug is never removed. Rediators have these types of drainage systems.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:26 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just my first 993 oil change. Its really not that hard. The P-car DIY is very helpful. The hardest part is getting the damn oil feed tube out of the way to get the motor filter off. Aside from that, it's pretty easy and strait forward. Take your time, oh, and you may need a small hammer to very lightly tap the oil tube back in the hole. Pry it out from the left only (I chipped the case casting learning that one!) and tap it back in from the right to initially get it started.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Have you done oil/filter changes on other cars? SEVERAL others? If not, do NOT do the 993; it
is the hardest car I've done in 30+ years of car ownership. It'll take you 2+ hours, and changing the engine oil filter will drive you bananas.

if you've done LOTS of auto DIY work, then go ahead with the 993 oil change.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:17 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Ray,
Come now, lets not scare the guy. Its not that bad. Granted you must have some mechanical ability, but the hardest part is the oil tube, other than that, the engine filter come off with a $5 filter cup type remover from XXX autoparts. It takes time the first time, only because , if you are like me you want to understand the underside of the car before proceeding. If "Kick" takes his time and follows the P-car DIY post, he'll be fine. Its not rocket science, there's just 2 of everything you would normally have in a "normal" oil change He'll be fine, and as I did, he'll find plenty of support here.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't take out the oil tube to remove the engine oil filter. I use the three-prong Snap-On "Blue Point" filter wrench ($30 from the Snap-On truck, $12 at Sears) to loosen the filter, and then just fiddle it around a bit to get in out.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:10 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Oh I heard it may be possible to get it out without removing that tube.....so it is true huh? I didn't see it coming out without a fight, so I went for the tube, which in turn turned into a small battle. Aside from that though, its a fairly strait forward procedure I thought.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:42 AM
nman413
Drifting

Taking the line out drains more oil too...
Old 12-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Firren
Advanced

Just did my first oil change this weekend, besides the usual hassle with getting new tools all the time it took maybe a day. I took my good time and feel happy now that it's done. The oil return line was suspiciously easy to remove.

My luck had apparently ran out when I proceeded with the dreaded "change clutch slave cylinder" DIY. OMG, that bl**dy little thing almost killed me off. Good thing that I brought some beer and good music to the garage Now I just need to figure out how to change the kinematic clutch lever, and the master cylinder while I am at it.... p-car.com is a great source for information!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello Firren,

I spotted a major error in your post: there is no beer in Sweden
Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Firren
Advanced

Monique: LOL! True, but whatever was in that can of "Pripps Blå" sure helped me get over some of the frustration I am open for suggestions as to which beer is best suited for those long DIY sessions!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:54 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

No beer in Sweden. WTF
I never heard of such a thing. Excluding some self-righteous 'Puritanical' counties in some 'Bible Belt States' here in the USA.

Quick Reply: New 993 owner....Can I change my own oil?