Sponsored by:

Question - Rear wheel well liners.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question - Rear wheel well liners.

I have spent most of the day trying to find an extremely annoying rattle in the rear of my car, only apparent over bad surfaces.

Having removed pretty much all of the rear interior trim the rattle was still there on test driving the car. Still great opportunity to clean it all including the carpets

Eventually decided that the rattle was somewhere in the rear wheel wells and removed the liners. Another test drive and the rattle has gone.

Should the liners have the thick rubber/plastic trims on the outside edges the same as the fronts?
If so mine have been discarded by a PO.

Any other tips for making them rattle free?

Thanks in advance.

All the best.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:06 PM
JohnM
Racer

Hi Tim,

I had a similar problem, which I eventually tracked down to someone fitting the wrong length screw where the halves of the liner join. The screw was long enough to tap on the inside of the wheel arch - cutting it down and refitting was a complete cure. Drove me nuts for months, I must had the rear interior trim panels off a dozen times trying to track it down.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:45 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, there are no rubber pieces in the rear like the ones up front. Just make sure you have all the screws that you are supposed to.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

John/Tom

Thanks guys. I will check the length of the upper screws and I do appear to have all the fixings.

I will have another look tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:04 AM
James_J
Advanced

Tim, I know that you seemed to have lost the rattle when your rear liners were removed, but are you absolutely sure that your rear exhaust shields are not rusted off their mountings and resting on the exhausts?

That happened to mine and took me quite a bit of searching to discover the source.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:02 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Both wheel arch liners and the CAT heat shields can give rattles. Often the wheel arch liners are not correctly re-fitted after work(front or back) or screws are left out or the incorrect screws are used. Heat shield rot is common in the UK - the material is paper thin - and the heat shields over the CATS can stay in place even tho' the fixing points have rotten out.

PJC

Quick Reply: Question - Rear wheel well liners.