993 Forum 1995-1998

steel syncros

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:57 PM
sirbob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question steel syncros

A few years ago I was shifting a little to aggresively and broke the shifting fork going from 1st to 2cd...as you can imagine it made quite a mess of my gear box. (and cost a lot)

I had Andial rebuild and while we had it apart I installed steel syncros on the first 3 gears...

My question is since that time (about 15,000 miles) I have had a little "kink" in the shifting ...it has not changed at all from the install to now (I thought it might "break in"). The shift is just not as smooth as a stock transition from gear to gear...

Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Indeed, "speed" or aggressive shifting will put a big hurt on one's bank account. I tell my customers that if they want to play like that, they are going to pay like that,...

Although its almost impossible to accurately diagnose what you are feeling, steel syncros are a bit "notchier" in their shift quality. I'd ask Dieter about your transmission,..........

One last thing, oil makes a big difference; you should be using Mobil 1 75w-90.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:03 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi:

Indeed, "speed" or aggressive shifting will put a big hurt on one's bank account. I tell my customers that if they want to play like that, they are going to pay like that,...

Although its almost impossible to accurately diagnose what you are feeling, steel syncros are a bit "notchier" in their shift quality. I'd ask Dieter about your transmission,..........

One last thing, oil makes a big difference; you should be using Mobil 1 75w-90.
Steve makes a good point about oil. Porsche's or other transaxle equipped cars (meaning ring pinion final drive share gearbox oil with syncros) do require good quality, Hypoid specified oil as this adds high-pressure lubrication as well as friction modifyers to keep syncros happy and grabby enough, so to speak.

Many people have had success with a variety of oil brands, but most seem to be happiest with Mobil1 synthetic 75W90, including myself.

Since 1987, Porsche specified Getrag (gbx mfg.) to utilize the more common Borg Warner syncro system, which is much different than Porsche's own 901/915 syncro system. The 901 and 915 syncros seem to be happier with other oil such as Swepco since its friction modifyer additives tend to make this oil more 'grabby', helping with these older, slow acting sycronizers.

There I go again, rambling on, sorry
Old 12-06-2004, 12:47 PM
sirbob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest I don't know what they would have put in it...

That said, I'm due for a change about now anyway...I try the mobil 1 you are recommending.

Thanks

Quick Reply: steel syncros