Sponsored by:

Doctor, My Battery Is Dying!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doctor, My Battery Is Dying!

It looks like after 9 years of reliable work the battery's life in my 993 finally started to fade out. If I don't run a car for three-four days the battery gets completely dead. While it is very rare occasion when I don't use the car for such a long time like three days in a row, I am thinking that the main reason why the battery gets so weak withing few days of not operating is its age.
I would appreciate if someone would make a recommendation on the battery replacement. I probably would rather choose bigger but longer scheme instead smaller and lighter one. It appears to me that in next few months the occasions of not using a car for several days will be a common. So I would need to make sure that even after a week of not operating the car will start.
It would be great if you could specify the brand and model name of the battery... and at which store it could be purchased.
I would be deeply interested to find out any additional tricks/tips on choosing the battery, installing it, ticks of preparing the car for 7 days non-operatable parking and etc...
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2004, 02:26 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Have you searched the archives? There are many threads on this topic
Old 12-04-2004, 02:42 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto, search the archives.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:53 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Sounds good. Sorry for disturbing!
Old 12-04-2004, 04:39 PM
DJD
Instructor

I just got an Optima and it fit great I was able to use the stock hold down. Dry cell means never a chance for a leak.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

An Optima battery is a great choice, no acid spill or throughup possibility. I'm getting one for Christmas. You spend tens of thousands on the car, the last thing you want is battery acid in your trunk. You should also invest in a battery maintainer. The Porsche one is great you just plug it into your cigarette lighter when you park in your garage -- couldn't be easier.

By the way, the stock vent tube simply vents into the fender area -- it ends where that plastic 90 degree fitting at the end of the tube goes into the fender. I added tubing to the other side and routed it to the outside through the vents in the lower bumber cover.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:34 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Virtually any new battery you put in will be able to withstand weeks and weeks of non-use. 9 years on a battery is almost unheard of... 3 or 4 years is the typical lifespan.

My concern is with the readiness codes in your computer. I don't know if you have an OBD I or OBD II (you didn't mention the year of your car), but when you disconnect the battery, you may have a lot of trouble getting the readiness codes to reset, which may affect your next smog check. Maybe others who have been through this can describe this better than I.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Sputnik
Racer

The car is 1995 (built 1994). Should I do something "special" while replacing the battery to avoid reset of codes?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Mdrury
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, beware the dreaded OBDII readiness codes! ( Check recent thread for more info ).
And in the "for what it's worth" department; I have never been dissappointed by the great product performance and service from Sears when it comes to auto batteries. $100 and an 8-year no-quibble warranty works for me, anyway.

Good luck
Old 12-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a priority start unit on my Optima. I know it works because it has disconnected the power. You just hit the brakes once and it reconnects power and battery is fine since it does not get completely drained. Here's link about how it works.
Priority Start LInk
Old 12-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sputnik, Here's a good link

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=Odyssey

Also, for the right DIE HARD MODEL(DIE HARD INTERNATIONAL):

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ve%20Batteries

Quick Reply: Doctor, My Battery Is Dying!