Diminished Value claim settlement

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 08:21 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diminished Value claim settlement

For those of you who remember, I was backed into by a Comcast service van about a year ago causing the replacement of my front bumper cover,both front fenders, hood,fog lights, and headlights, and paint. Comcast's insurance fixed everything at a shop I specified and I also filed a "diminished value" claim for loss of value for a car that has been involved in an accident. The insurance company finally accepted my documentation and settled my claim. So for those of us who are hit by other people...we can claim damages for the "diminished value" due to the car having been involved in an accident. My claim was not small and involved close to 15% of the value of the vehicle. I now feel better and vindicated for my loss.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that information. Sorry for the lost, but I am please to hear about meaningful recourse from a insurance company.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:07 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Who is your insurance carrier?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Details? What was the diminished value??
Old 12-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Pete K
Pro

Good Job Randy!!

Pete
Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 PM
jz993
Racer

Yes, details please. Who was the paying insurer?
Happened to me once on a 10 day old car.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:37 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Pete...how are you, bet you miss the fog and rainy days we are having (not).
My insurance company is USAA, but I didn't even tell them as it was a very cut and dry thing where the driver of the van was ticketed and admitted fault to the police and was so stated in the report. Comcast had US Fidelity which went thru a company out of Denver called SSR. It took about a year with lots of letters and fax's and finally I got a lawyer to write a letter with my final demands. Washington State law stands behind the injured party for all expense's and loss of value of the vehicle. The documentation that finalized the deal was an appraisal of my vehicle by Park Place(high end exotic's dealer) here in Bellvue as though it had not been involved in an accident and the true value now that it had.
I learned a lot,but the most important was that insurance companys like to put you off with the run around as much as they can even if they know you are right and have a claim. The legal avenue seemed to get their attention after several letters from me and they offered what I wanted to settle.
I wanted to share this, so anyone who has the unfortunate fate as to be hit by someone...the damages are more than skin deep.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:59 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good point about Washington State ... it does vary by state. In Massachusetts, there is no recourse for diminished value.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 12-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Tour18
Banned

I was in that situation with a six month old Z06. I shut them up by making them either buy it or sell it at market price for me. AFTER the damage was repaired...

I walked away with a brand new Z06.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:36 AM
traveller09
Instructor

Great news Randy! Congratulations!
Old 12-04-2004, 01:54 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
In Massachusetts, there is no recourse for diminished value.
I thought the Massachusetts ruling from last year only applied if you were asking for diminished value from your own insurance company?

Congratulations rcwelch! I hope your success convinces others to stand up to insurance companies.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 12-04-2004 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Ian Woodcock
AutoX

You lucky guy!! I just got my 993 back after 5 months at the Porsche dealer, after a taxi decided to do a U-Turn infront of me and had to pay U$ 4,600 is 'betterment' fees.

It's a standard practice with Hong Kong insurance companies. According the them the vehicle is better now as it has newer parts!! The taxi driver is being sued by the police for careless driving, after which, I have to take a private action against him to get back my 'betterment' charges.

Quick Reply: Diminished Value claim settlement