Sponsored by:

Blasphemy! - Thinking of returning RSR’s

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 07:46 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blasphemy! - Thinking of returning RSR’s

I have had RSR Gillett’s installed in place of my stock Bischoff’s for nearly a week. The sound has improved/intensified over the 90 miles I have done with them. I wonder whether there will be any further change with more miles. I like the sound, but it seems to be at the expense of the glorious mechanical metallic engine sounds which I previously enjoyed so much with my windows and targa top down. If this was an ordinary car, I would be happy with the RSR exhaust sound. But it seems to me I have to give up something special to get that.

With so may positive comments on the Board, and having only owned my 993 for 3 months and having covered not too may weekend drive miles, I am questioning my sanity. Do I need medical assistance or is there some merit in my thinking?

Thanks & all the best,
Chris
Old 12-03-2004, 08:02 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

I've read where tend to get a bit louder with age, so if they are bothering you now, it will only intensify as they get older. For some that's a positive thing... for others it's not.

With that said, I sold my RSRs after owning them for a few months. I have never been a fan of loud exhausts, but thought I would give the RSRs a try to see what they are all about. They definitely make the car louder but what I didn't like was the resonance at approx 2500-2800 rpm. I do a lot of mountain driving and that rpm range came up a lot. In the end, I decided to sell to a fellow Rennlister who loves them. To each his own... you need to decide what is best for you. To the other side of the spectrum, the Rennlister I bought my RSRs from only did so to go to an even louder setup.

In the end, I've played with drilled and cut away intake covers to enhance the sound, but I am now running a stock exhaust and uncut cover. I like the quiet of the stock setup and for now I'll stay with that.

I'd say drive the car for another month or so and see how you feel after that. If you decide to sell, it would not be difficult as they are lots of other Rennlisters who like the increase in engine noise and are actually waiting in line for a set.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:17 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts

It is a matter of personal preference. I love the sound of the RSRs on my 95 C2. I can hear the engine much better with them installed. If you like the more "mechanical" and delicate sounds of an engine, then the stock mufflers are the way to go.

IMHO, there is no sound like the sound of Robins' mufflers at WOT! Incidentally, the resonance that you are describing is totally nonexistant in my car. I am certain that each engine and car is different in this regard. Best of luck in your decision.

RSRs are in such high demand that if you decide to sell them, please make the offer to a Rennlister first.

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:04 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

I love my RSR's and have noticed no resonance.
ML
Old 12-03-2004, 03:19 PM
garychios
Pro

ill trade you my stock exhasut for yours. And some money.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:47 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just love my RSR's can't imagine anything better. Perfect sound, backpressure, and absolutely no resonance at all.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:51 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkim
With that said, I sold my RSRs after owning them for a few months. I have never been a fan of loud exhausts, but thought I would give the RSRs a try to see what they are all about.
Chris,
I bought these RSR's from Kelly few months ago after reading about them on many threads here. I had the Motor Sound Package with the MSP Mufflers prior to installing them. At first, there wasn't a big change in the sound but then I modified my airbox and the sound "improved" dramatically. But the improved sound is very subjective. Like they said, it's a personal preference. For me, the sound is great whether sitting idle or driving regularly on the street but I do miss the roar at WOT which I have yet to get back..

I'm sure there will be a lot of people wanting to take those puppies off your hands. I have MSP Bischoff mufflers if anyone is interested.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like I got beat to the punch. If you decide to get rid of them and Gary declines, let me know and we can trade.

Leland
Old 12-04-2004, 12:13 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Thanks to you all, particularly Kelly and Jonathan. I went out this morning for the Last Supper. I noticed that I am getting resonance all the way from idle to nearly 3,000rpm. Living in Hong Kong, I spend too much time below 3,000. Above 3,000 I do enjoy and appreciate their sound. It seems that there may be the odd car in which they resonate. So I will be returning them to Gert as I am now at the end of the return period. Sorry to Gary and Leland, but to trade with you guys will be a little complicated as I would need to have you send a set of stock mufflers approximating the age of mine (26,000 miles) to Gert and ship the RSR's to you in the States.

Thanks and all the best,
Chris
Old 12-04-2004, 09:19 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Some trivia. My stock Bischoff’s weigh 15.1 lbs and the RSR Gillett’s weigh 10.7 lbs, so the steel is a fair bit thinner on the Gillet's.

All the best,
Chris
Old 12-04-2004, 09:57 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Hey Chris, you should definately keep them on for them to break-in. I have many 993 buddies here in my area and I remember one of them getting those mufflers and putting them on and then taking them back off. They sounded ricey almost at first but after break-in they were really great. He put them back on because I have a very loud car and another buddy has Supercups so he thought he would give them another shot. Now they sound raspy, a little mettalicy- mechanically 911ey.
On a side note where do you live in Hk? I have lots of family in HK and have been many times.
Christian
Old 12-04-2004, 12:59 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Hi Chris,
I suspect the steel is the same. I suspect that some of the sound deadening has been removed from the interior of the muffler. I recently had the opportunity to compare a pre and post rsr set of bischoffs and the main thing I noticed was that the rsr muffler would "ring" when I tapped on the side of it while the stock muffler had a dull thud. I also noticed the difference in weight... I am still waitlisted for my set though...
Pete
Old 12-04-2004, 04:01 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Okay, the resonance may be the heat shield. I was reading in another thread somewhere that someone solved the problem by adjusting the heat shield somehow. I wish I could be more specific but since mine didn't do that, I dumped the info from my brain's RAM, ya know? I do remember him saying something about after adjusting, or bending the shield, tap on the muffler to make sure it is damped... before reinstalling. Sorry I can't be more specific but that's all I remember. The more I ruminate, I am reminded that there was some bending, tweaking, of the shield to make it stop.

BTW what is "WOT"?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:14 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOT= Wide Open Throttle
Old 12-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Sputnik
Racer

I used to have Fabspeed Supercups. They sounded terrific!
But resonance was just killing me.
Two weeks ago I installed RSR and I can't be more happier.
While 993 engine does sound great it lacks a "low-bass" tone.
It is what RSR mufflers are for.
Making parallel between car and audio system... I would say that engine sounds as a tweeter and mid level speaker. While RSR mufflers act as subwoofer adding that missing touch to a beautiful motorsound orchestra!

Quick Reply: Blasphemy! - Thinking of returning RSR’s