Sponsored by:

Sun roof removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 07:36 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun roof removal

Just wanted to report that my sun roof and associated mechanisms have been removed and weigh in at just under 40 lbs! Quite a bit of weight and the other amazing part is the incredible amount of addiitonal head room!!!! The roll cage will now fit nicely up inside the roof providing a higher protect level and be out of the way of my head!!

I have also removed the seat mounts, the ones welded in that the seats are bolting into on the floor which has provided another 3 inches of head room. I finally fit with head clearance with a roll bar!!!! Finally!

I will keep all of you posted as things start coming together over the next few weeks, and yes, pics will be posted too!!!! I will also post my weight reduction numbers when I weigh everything that has been taken out. It is really starting to add up.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2004, 07:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,970 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Yeah, it's a real shame how hard it is to find a US non-sunroof 911 after the early 70's...
Old 12-02-2004, 08:09 PM
mborkow
Drifting

did you get a new headliner, tighten up the old one, or get just get rid of it alltogether? pics would be great. i never use the sun-roof anyway and have thought about nixing it (because i am sure the one time i do go to use it will get stuck open and start to rain!)
Old 12-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
did you get a new headliner, tighten up the old one, or get just get rid of it alltogether? pics would be great. i never use the sun-roof anyway and have thought about nixing it (because i am sure the one time i do go to use it will get stuck open and start to rain!)
Yes Kary, what did you decide for the headliner? I am just cutting some leather and plan on having it glued by a professional straight to the inside of the roof. I might add one of those sound deadening cut outs (Performance Products) between the leather and roof to reduce noise levels, they should not add more than 1-2 lbs. I am also planning to use them on the inside rear engine firewall under a glued carpet.

Pleasedo post some pics.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I am actually going to do this on my 996 in January.
Kary, did you just weld in the existing sunroof panel or did another
piece of metal need to be fabricated and welded in place of
the sunroof panel?
Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 PM
kary993
Drifting

Rico, I am just putting in a fiberglass peice at this point.

Jean & mborkow, no headliner as it looks fine as bare metal with some arena red color. I never look up there anyway, particularly on the track ;-)

I will definietely post pics in a week or so when the roll cage in, but beofre I begin to put the aluminum floor boards in and seat back in.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's good amount of weight saved, and frmo great spot!

Did you measure how much the actual sunroof panel (just the bare metal piece) was from that 40 lbs?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:40 AM
deleonl1
Racer

How does the fiberglass piece attach to the roof? Will sealing be an issue?

I'd like to check out the carbon fiber piece that Princeton is using.

Quick Reply: Sun roof removal