Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OBD Readiness codes (once more with feeling)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I read these post with interest. I had my emissions test done today - and passed. 96 Targa 44k miles. I had to go through a more complex testing process because I had too many readiness errors. I live in AZ and I think our tests are the same or similar to CA.

I forgot that I should have driven the car more before I brought it in for the inspection. The car was just in for service where they disconnected the battery overnight.

Oh well, all is well that ends well. As I said it passed.

BTW, I just bought this car in CA where it passed the emissions last month.

Lucky me! But I was nervous when they said I had all the readiness codes.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I had to go through a more complex testing process because I had too many readiness errors. I live in AZ and I think our tests are the same or similar to CA." - pjconner -

So, you're saying that AZ emissions inspection passed the car even though it lacked
completion of the readiness codes?

"My experience in running the above referenced BMW readiness reset routine (once) is that it resets all the readiness switches (measured by the OBDII Scan Tool software)."

The readiness codes are only reset by;
1. battery removal
2. a DTC reset/clear

Reading the readiness codes/states doesn't reset them.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I have read in these posts, you only need 2 of the non-continuous monitors to be ready to pass the smog test here in California. I am getting the CEL due to the SAI problem. I will probably either have Viper Bob reset it, or get the Scan Tool myself and clear it out.

In order to pass smog, one of the non-continuous tests is the SAI test. Based on what I have read, if I can get 2 of the other 4 non-continuous readiness codes to ready themselves, and somehow not get the SAI readiness to become "ready", I'm hoping I can pass the smog test.

Based on these driving cycle procedures I have been reading about, is it possible, let's say, to do this procedure instead:

1. Star engine and drive right away with no idle (to avoid the SAI from getting ready)
2. Accelerate to 20-40 miles an hour for 3:15 minutes
3. Accelerate to 40-60 miles an hour for 15 minutes
4. Decelerate and come to a stop for 5 minutes.

This way I hope I can trigger the other readiness codes without readying the SAI readiness code, I hope I'm making this sound clear. Will this work?
Old 12-04-2004, 10:38 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loren, let's not confuse the error codes and the readiness switches. The readiness switches are triggered by a reset of the error codes. After the error code(s) is(are) cleared the readiness switches must be reset through running the readiness switch reset routine or over time with a couple complete "drive cycles".

Arthur, reset the CEL, then run the (above posted) BMW routine and go to the smog test station. You ought to pass. Works for me every time.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

ecobb993 - I actually tried the your procedure above and it does work, as I have reset the the CEL by unhooking the battery, then running your readiness procedure and lo and behold, the light came on after about 50 miles or so of driving the car after I reset the CEL. That is after I believe 2 or 3 stops and starts with the engine, which are considered trips in the computer. So, I was thinking if I can instead run the readiness procedure, go to the smog inspection station right away and not turn off the car, even while I wait for my turn, I think I can pass the OBDII test as it won't log in the fault codes right away until I stop and start the engine at least a couple of times. I hope this works.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Loren, let's not confuse the error codes and the readiness switches. The readiness switches are triggered by a reset of the error codes. After the error code(s) is(are) cleared the readiness switches must be reset through running the readiness switch reset routine or over time with a couple complete "drive cycles"." - ecobb993 -

"The readiness switches are triggered by a reset of the error codes. After the error code(s) is(are) cleared the readiness switches must be reset through running the readiness switch reset routine or over time with a couple complete "drive cycles"." Not Correct!

Who's confusing what?

You need to read the ODBII standard. I think my post was fairly clear about DTCs
and Readiness codes. Also, I'm involved on the daily basis with many Porsche shops
and Porsche dealers troubleshooting 993s.

As I stated in the above post from my web site:

Non-Continuous Tests
- Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC) Effeciency
- Fuel Tank Ventilation (EVAP)
- Secondary Air Injection (SAI)
- Oxygen Sensors
- Oxygen Sensor Heating

Continuous Tests
- Fuel System (TRIM)
- ECM Faults (DTC)
- Cylinder Misfire

1. Monitored & Set During Three Cycles; Warm-up, Driving, & Trip
Warm-up Cycle - SAI, EVAP, (from cold start to operating temperature, 2 min. minimum)
Driving Cycle - O2 Sensors/Heating, TWC, TRIM, (2 min. idle, 5 min. drive, 2 min. idle)
Trip Cycle - Diagnosis of All ECM Systems, (2nd Driving Cycle after shut-down, 20 min. max.).
2. Completed Prior to an Emissions Test.
3. Accessed via the OBDII Connector (DLC).
4. Reset by a DTC clear or a battery disconnection.
5. Some non-continuous tests can be run ("short test") via special scanners.

Bottomline: Let's not further confuse Rennlist members with inaccurate info.
The 993 ('96 - '98) has enough problems with Readiness codes without additional
problems, e.g. mislead 993 owners.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"In order to pass smog, one of the non-continuous tests is the SAI test. Based on what I have read, if I can get 2 of the other 4 non-continuous readiness codes to ready themselves, and somehow not get the SAI readiness to become "ready", I'm hoping I can pass the smog test." - Del Mundo -

Remember, each time your reset a fault (CEL), e.g. SAI, the readiness codes are
reset and you start the readiness procedure all over again. Think about the purpose
of the readiness codes and why CARB required/designed-in no work-arounds.
There's easy NO CHEATING with OBDII!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
wtoth
1st Gear

The BMW readiness reset routine did not do the trick for me. Driving for 15 minutes between 40-60 MPH without going over 3K RPM (4th gear @ 50MPH is 2,800 RPM) is what set all 5 codes that were "Not Ready" (SA, O2, HO2, Evap and Cat). I used the Actron OBD II AutoScanner Model 9135 to check the above I/M, as well as Fault Codes (Passed) and M/L Status.

Regards,

Bill
1997 993 C2S
Old 07-08-2005, 10:04 AM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,

I had success with the readiness reset routine the first time I attempted it with a '96 TT(6-speed). However, it took about 3 days of additional driving, after completing the cycle, to get all 5 readiness codes in the "ready/green" state. NONE of them were ready immediately after completing the cycle. Don't know if this time delay is typical or not, but I do believe that the codes ultimately achieved the "ready" state ONLY after completing the cycle. Prior to completing the cycle, had driven the car for 6 months/4K miles after purchasing the car and and still none of the readiness codes were "ready".

Have you checked the readiness codes recently?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:14 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a battery disconnected and reconnected two days before I wanted to pass inspection. I used the procedure referenced above(http://srlx.com/p-car/obdii_readiness.pdf) one day before going to the inspection and all readiness codes were set the next day. I did very little driving besides that routine between battery reconnection and going to the inspection, so I am very positive, that the routine does the job it says it does.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Man, is this timely.

I did not pass IL emissions two weeks ago, as the OBD was NOT READY in five readings -- I recently replaced the battery.

Have to go to the dealer as my regular shop has not been approved by the our public servants.
Of course everything is fine with the OBD, so I will run the sequence this weekend. Will try to replicate both Bill's and the bimmer one.

I'll let ya know hif it works...
Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Found foujr or five different protocols in the archives. After two frustrating attempts with none of the five "not ready" going "ready", this morning's worked. As was noted in some of the threads, it may take more than one pass at it.

It is very strange to drive a 993 like a Crown Vic.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Man, is this timely.

I did not pass IL emissions two weeks ago, as the OBD was NOT READY in five readings -- I recently replaced the battery.

Have to go to the dealer as my regular shop has not been approved by the our public servants.
Of course everything is fine with the OBD, so I will run the sequence this weekend. Will try to replicate both Bill's and the bimmer one.

I'll let ya know hif it works...
Mike,
have you tried talking with the Mayor about your situation? Maybe a few greenbacks in the right hands could get you handled?.....
Old 07-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Mdrury
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Finding a place to drive sub 3000 rpm and 60mph , and maintaining that, was the hardest part of the entire excercise. I figure that several of my initial failed attempts were entirely due to my lack of patience.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Fill

Are you refering to His Honor, the Mayor of Chicago,
or Hiz Honur, the Mayor of Rennville?

Michael
That may have affected my outcome as well, once accidently got over 3,000 rpm (ARGH!) on a drive cycle.

But a couple of archival posts said you may have to do the drive cycles multiple times for it to set.

Quick Reply: OBD Readiness codes (once more with feeling)