Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MALIBU FUN RUN DEC 12... TOYS FER TOTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in!... (If you don't mind me bringing a 996). This will be my first run in a group like this.
What a great event for a great cause!
Has this message been spread to the 996 forum?

Cheers.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:09 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Directions For The Run . . .

At the risk of repetition . . . spread the word some more fast40th. Everyone is welcome! The large turnout will be a blast!

By the way group, please try to get to staging around 6:45 or earlier as we must leave right at 7:00, especially with a group as large as this one seems to be getting. All it takes is getting up in the canyons a little late and we get backed up behind the masses. To keep it fun, fast and safe, we gotta keep it on time! Lastly, if you know these canyons and are confident leading at a brisk pace familiarize yourselves with the run. Here are the basics:

6:45 staging at Vons (PCH/Sunset) with a Chevron across the street to fill up. 7:00 we depart taking PCH north to Las Flores. We make a right on Las Flores. and take Las Flores up into the canyons. Near the top of the mountain this turns into Rambla Pacifica. You will see a lookout fire station to the left. At the stop sign go right, taking Rambla Pacifica to Schueren. Make another right. Drive Schueren to Schueren/Stunt Road intersection, known as the "The Top of the World". It overlooks the canyons on both sides, there is a large area to stop. This will be the first stopping point to regroup and make sure everyone is still with us.

Upon regrouping we will take Stunt Rd "down" to the Mulholland Hwy and make a left. We stay on Mulholland all the way up to the lookout overlooking the "Rock Store" and the canyon. Probably two miles past the Rock Store and maybe a 1/4 of a mile before we hit Kanan. Can't miss it. There will be lots of crotch rockets on the left parked. It's where the Leno shots were taken on the Thanksgiving run. We regroup here briefly to again be sure we have everyone.

Then we proceed down Mulholland to the 23 (Westlake Blvd - another sharp right at a STOP sign) that takes us down into WestLake. Don't make a left down Encinal canyon or you will find yourselves back at PCH. We may want to even regroup at this intersection just to be sure everyone has it right.

We then take the 23 Canyon down into Westlake, hit the 101 going south to the the Village Roaster (23351 Mulholland Dr.) in Woodland Hills. I know, bummer about the freeway. We can always plan out an alternative ending at staging . . . like doubling back etc. but, by that time, you will have lots of folks Sunday driving in the canyon and IMHO I think everyone will have had about an hour and a half of fun canyon twists and will be ready for a straight shot to the event. Nothing is worse than being in the canyons behind a nice slow group of Sunday drivers (Hikers, bikers, etc.)

The only caveat is . . . the pace factor will depend on who we encounter along the way. No heroes, no trophies. Always drive within your limits and let the fast guys with radar take the top 1/3 in our lineup. Not that I or anyone else intends to go past the posted limits. As I learned on our Glendora run, better to be in the back chasing, than have everyone on your tail! That can get a little hairy.

I will review the run and some visual landmarks with everyone verbally in the morning at staging and hopefully have a crude map. LOL I look forward to seeing everyone in the morning. And please don't forget to bring an unwrapped toy!

Christian a/k/a Slapshot
Old 12-11-2004, 06:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just washed her, topped off the oil, and threw in some 100 octane though I'll be cruising at the rear with the Secretary of War on board (we went up Hwy 1 last summer with 4 p-cars and they were all on their second drink in the bar at Napenthe when we crawled in).
My neighbor will be joining us for his first fun-ride in his beautiful silver 02' 996 Cab. He says he can drive, we'll see...
JRG
Old 12-11-2004, 08:34 PM
ca996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last count we have 17 6speeders onboard and counting. See you all in the morning.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:02 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

DAMNIT, DAMNIT, DAMNIT

I'll have to do this one from the sidelines guys. With new suspension stuff in, a four wheel alignment is in order to prevent an "oh sh#t"!!

Best wishes to everyone and have a safe drive. I look forward to meeting lots of new faces on the next run.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:22 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin, next time dude, were gonna miss ya.

996 are always welcome and don't forget to bring yer water!

Thanks Christian for the work in putting together the route and maps for the fellas.

Gonna be a blast, see you all tomorrow and a big thanks from the kids.

Quick Reply: MALIBU FUN RUN DEC 12... TOYS FER TOTS