Scam or legit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 03:23 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Scam or legit?

So ... with my 95 C4 cab up for sale, I received this email, presumably off my ad in the Rennlist Classifieds. Oh, and it's from a Yahoo address.

Seems pretty dubious to me. All the charities are local to San Diego, and two share the same address. He hasn't sent his "offer" yet.

Thought I'd pass it on for other sellers to be aware of.

Vic
95 C4 cab

Vic,

We can usually net you what your asking on the car and are intersted in making an offer.

AmeriFund Institute acquires vehicles utilizing a Charitable Cash Purchase.* These offers consist of Cash and a Tax benefit for the owner.* This can be a win-win situation for you and our Charities and Foundations.*

A Charitable Cash Purchase is a sale of property to a non-profit foundation for less than its fair market value, with a result that is in part a cash sale and part a charitable contribution.
Why have Charitable Cash Purchases become a popular alternative

·Owners in upper tax brackets can net an excellent return. (Cash + Tax deduction)

·Cash amounts are substantial, quoted on a car-by-car basis.

·Eliminates expensive overhead, advertising and brokers commissions.

·Sales are immediate which can save months of holding cost.

·Owner can receive an excellent financial return without any inconvenience.

·Philanthropic gestures benefit life-changing programs.

To calculate your net return, subtract Cash amount offered by our foundation from the appraised value* to show the Tax Deductible amount.* The value of the Tax-deductible amount should be calculated by your tax advisor. The net of the two values, Cash plus Tax Deductible amount, will equal the net return to owner.

Charitable Cash Purchases are an excellent alternative to an out right sale because the transactions are timely and the net returns can be financially rewarding. Every year an increasing number of boats are sold utilizing a Charitable Cash Purchase.* When calculating the net return, owners and their tax advisors have found this to a viable option to a conventional sale.

Please give this offer serious consideration. AFI assists several non-profits in their quest to provide valuable programs.* This type of transaction will benefit the Life Changing Opportunities provided by our participating Charities and Foundations.* Please contact me to discuss this offer in more detail.

For more information on AFI please visit our website @ www.afinstitute.com
Old 11-30-2004, 03:50 PM
bootman30@hotmail.com
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--

Last edited by bootman30@hotmail.com; 10-27-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Vic,

I got the same e-mail the other day and my cab is listed here also. I did a quick search for them and read about their operation. They're basically just asking you to sell the car to them very cheaply, and take a big write-off on the balance. Gee thanks, but not....
JRG
Old 11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hi Vic,

I got the same e-mail the other day and my cab is listed here also. I did a quick search for them and read about their operation. They're basically just asking you to sell the car to them very cheaply, and take a big write-off on the balance. Gee thanks, but not....
JRG
If anyone wants to, they can sell their p-cars to me very cheaply. I'm afraid that I can't provide you with 501c3 documentation but I promise that the car will go to a good cause - ME!!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:02 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by akolodesh
If anyone wants to, they can sell their p-cars to me very cheaply. I'm afraid that I can't provide you with 501c3 documentation but I promise that the car will go to a good cause - ME!!
Oh... for a good enough 'deal', I can provide the 501 C3PO docs.....Do I hear a 'niner' in there? (from the movie Tommy Boy)
Old 12-01-2004, 12:57 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Hi Vic,

JRG

Uhhh.....John why are you selling your cab?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:00 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seege
Uhhh.....John why are you selling your cab?
Because you gave me a ride in your car!
JRG
Old 12-01-2004, 02:16 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 12-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got that one when I sold my 84 Turbo Look. Wait for the offshore offers from the 'broker for a certain wealthy individual who wants to remain nameless". They will transfer $ to purchase your car directly into your account. All you have to do is give them your bank info! So easy...I got two or three of those, plus some other BS calls from 'brokers and agents'.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:29 AM
PorscheDavid
Racer

"I--the royal we, you know, the editorial--I dropped off the money, exactly as per--look, I've got certain information, certain things have come to light, and uh, has it ever occurred to, man, that given the nature of all this new sh*t, that, uh, instead of running around blaming me, that this whole thing might just be, no, you know, not just such a simple, but uh-- you know?"

The Dude

Last edited by PorscheDavid; 12-02-2004 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Scam or legit?