Sponsored by:

The down-side to weight loss?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 12:03 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The down-side to weight loss?

So, I have been on a quest to modify my car for some years. I have to say I have really enjoyed the journey and expect the journey to continue for some time since these cars are classic IMHO.

Here is the question. I feel as though I am ready to begin a serious weight loss program. I have read all the posts recently and previously as to what should be reduced from the car but have this question.

What are the down sides to reducing weight in a street 993 (well, not so street as it sits)? Can you restore it back for instance? Is it the wrong thing to do? Should I just buy a race car? I don't know, you tell me your experiences.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:41 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The biggest downside to most weight reductions is the loss of creature comforts for a daily driver. Louder and hotter come to mind. The loss of sound deadening and insulation result in this. However some items can be switched out without loss of function. The down side of this is usually high $$$ for carbon fiber and very lightweight alloys. Just some thoughts to think about. I am sure others have specific examples.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:52 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I took a 4 year-old 1970 911E and started to play at POC and PCA time trial events. One thing led to another, and it morphed into a full-on IMSA RSR GTU/GTO race car. Really dumb. The 911E was a beautiful car, and I should have just found a track car to play with. I've seen your 993, and it is really nice. Reminds me a lot of that old 911E.

Quick Reply: The down-side to weight loss?