Sponsored by:

New way to check distributor belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 06:40 PM
erc94
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New way to check distributor belt

I've been researching, the forums for information on the best way to check the dual distributor belt on our '96 Targa. In all the searching I've done, the only way to do it has been disconnecting the juice to the main distributor coil and seeing if it will run on the secondary, or taking off the distributor caps. I found another way.

I decided to try to pull off the vent hose connection at the distributor. I found it
came off with very little difficulty. (but this is my car, it may not be as easy on yours) Using a flashlight, I was able to peer into the hole and see the belt and the gear of the primary distributor. (It's hard to see the gear in the pic because of the shadow from the flash). Then I turned the engine over by rotating the fan until the belt made one revolution. I could tell it did because the belt has a small yellow stripe on it as shown in the pic. Then i just snapped the the hose and connector back in.

I'm happy to say the belt looks in perfect condition! Hopefully this helps someone, I know this forum has been a tremendous resource to me, thanks everyone!

and Ive never posted a pic of my Porsches before so here ya go....
Attached Images    
Old 11-29-2004, 09:35 PM
MN993
Intermediate

erc 94
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. And nice ride collection! BTW, what is the current recommendation for belt replacement?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:06 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MN993
erc 94
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. And nice ride collection! BTW, what is the current recommendation for belt replacement?
Hi:

I've recommended 50K-60K intervals between new belts based on what I see when we replace them.

Its good insurance given the consequences,....

I will also tell you that looking at the outside of the belt through the hole tells you almost nothing; you need to look at the drive teeth on the INNER side of the belt to accurately judge its condition.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:05 PM
MN993
Intermediate

Thanks Steve,
I am about 5k mile away from a replacement.

Quick Reply: New way to check distributor belt