Sponsored by:

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:21 AM
elferfan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post oil leak

had my 96 993 at the dealer for a 60000 mile service. also had them check on some oil drops on the passenger side, which turned out to be a leaking valve cover on both sides. the driver side was just starting. over all not much visible oil on the ground it was more the smell.
after i get the car back i drive it for about 5 days and 200 miles i notice oil drops on the drivers side. more than i ever saw before. about 4 to 5 drops maybe more. so i take it back to the dealer and they tell me that it is a evaporative oil leak past a seal near the varioram system. he is going to show it to me when i pick my car up since the seal has to be ordered from germany.
i have just a funny feeling about this.could it be coincident that i just develope this leak right after my service and valve cover seal replacement or did they take something apart and damaged that seal somehow? also they changed a seal on the power steering pump. cant find my paperwork right now, otherwise i could give you more info. what other options are there in the riverside/ san bernardino area for good maintenance?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Rocket
Instructor

Your mechanic might be right. Oil vapour and oil can get sucked into the Varioram as there is a breather pipe which connects to the top of the oil reservoir tank. The oil then sits in the Varioram and can leak out through the Varioram butterfly valve (forget its proper name) where it seats in the Varioram casing.

I had exactly this happy to my RS and the garage replaced the butterfly valve which operates the Varioram under warranty, and to my surprise this did in fact fix the oil leak. However I would point out that oil was leaking from the left hand side as you view the car from the rear not the right as you describe.

This can also be caused by overfilling the engine and excessive amounts of oil being sucked up into the Varioram. It is worth checking the acuracy of your in car oil gauge against the dipstick, as my in car gauge over reads by about 0.5 litres.

Rocket
Old 05-21-2003, 03:04 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 262 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Rocket:
<strong>

This can also be caused by overfilling the engine and excessive amounts of oil being sucked up into the Varioram. It is worth checking the acuracy of your in car oil gauge against the dipstick, as my in car gauge over reads by about 0.5 litres.

Rocket</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Can overfilling the engine oil affect the varioram? I put in almost 1.5L and the oil level gauge went from 0 to pinned to the top, and at the same time I seem to be experiencing no Varioram openning, or limited,(measured by sound @ 5k RPM).... I've checked the dip stick, but it's near impossible to read.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Chipset
Advanced

How can you tell when the Varioram is opening?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:33 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 262 Posts
At 5000 RPM with windows up you can hear the air intake sound change in the engine. At least you can with Motorsound.

Quick Reply: oil leak