Sponsored by:

993 Sound System Speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 Sound System Speaker upgrade

I need help with sources on the web for 993 sound system upgrades. I don't care for the exotic systems. In fact, all I really care to do is upgrade the stock speakers and keep the factory cd player. Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:53 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search! You may want to speak to Rod at CarAudioInnovations....a number of Rennlisters have had him install complete systems or at least have his subwoofer box. I've spoken to him a few times in the past and he's a good guy....he makes install trips a few times a year as demand wrrants.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:01 AM
solsrch
Pro

I'm in the middle of buying a system from Rod based on the input from other Rennlisters. While the check is gone but the goodies aren't here yet (it has only been a couple of days), I'd echo that he is really easy to deal with, very flexible and understands that the sound system has to fit your needs. I'm upgrading my head unit, speakers and amp, but wanted to keep the back seats functional for my kids - no problem (no sub-woofer either but there is always a price to pay). Anyway, last point it that he provides a lot of information and will provide technical support so you can do the install yourself. The fact that he has been down this road with something like 300+ 993s and I don't have to trust my car to some yahoo was an attractive combination to me.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:05 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Toby, if you want to make a lasting difference in your sound, you'll have to get an amp and a new head unit as well as speakers....while this is not something that I would consider "exotic", you won't get good sound out of a few good speakers [like Boston Acoustics, etc] hooked up to the factory head unit--there is not enough power to drive the speakers--I have never talked to Rod but I would definitely take the advice of some of the folks on the board--they won't steer you wrong!

--I just didn't want you to walk up to a Circuit city and spend $600 on speakers only to blow them b/c of lack of power from the factory head unit
Old 11-29-2004, 03:25 PM
solsrch
Pro

Cole makes an excellent point. PO of my car upgraded the head unit and speakers. I complained to a shop guy about all the noise, static and just plain crummy sound and he pointed directly to the stock amps as the issue. The chain really is limited by the weakest link!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:52 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the hi-fi option already, Focal 2-way components (Polyglass) fit in the existing holes and sound very good, with decent low end. You can pick them up on Ebay for about $225 a pair or so new, but without factory warranty; they're around $399 or so at authorized dealers. I think they'd fit in the non-hi-fi car as well. Easy to install. But you need an amp, too ... the factory amp won't power them. A good 2-channel amp (say, 50 watts minimum) won't run you more than $100 or so. You can still use the factory head unit with a better amp, you just need an appropriate harness connector.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 11-29-2004, 04:39 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Get the best speakers you can afford! Focal's are very good. I did my system thru CarAudioInnovations. Added their sub-woofers, looks great, sounds great. Talk to them....
Old 11-29-2004, 04:53 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

I've got the sort of exotic in my cab, but I have to say that just adding the focal component with a cheapo pair of mbquart 4X6 for the rear deck in my coupe sounds awesome with just the factory head unit. I have to say that focals are very good speakers, I can only imagine what they sound like properly matched to an amp.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toby,

I agree with the others. I have the Focals in both the doors and rear deck, and they are excellent. My system was installed by Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations, and I couldn't have been happier with the system or him as a person and businessman. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:49 PM
solsrch
Pro

tobyport,
Upgraded stereo and a larger fuel tank (other post) can only mean one thing to me - ROADTRIP!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Rod at Car Audio is awesome. I photo-documented the install and my car really rocks. Im in L.A. for anyone that wants to check it out.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Our cars have stereos??
Old 11-30-2004, 01:24 AM
914und993
Pro

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Our cars have stereos??
Of course they do! They have two exhaust pipes, don't they?

Chip
Old 11-30-2004, 06:19 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with the others. I have the hi fi option and installed the Focal component speakers on Rods advice w/a 4 channel amp but kept the head unit. Awsome. Rod's a great guy to work with and will give you all the information you need, even if you don't buy from him. If you should buy from him and do the install yourself or have others do it, he's there for technical support.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

A different question (but related):
Anyone know of a DVD-navigation pop-up screen/head unit that will clear the dash overhang? Ive heard that something is now available from esclipse or pioneer.
Im still getting lost as i refuse to give up one of my A/C vents.

Quick Reply: 993 Sound System Speaker upgrade