Sponsored by:

Car cover suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Car cover suggestions needed

I will be storing my 993 this winter and need some advice on what cover to get for indoor use. I have no experience with car covers, so all help is appreciated. Also, advice on where the best place to get one would be appreciated, of course considering any possible site sponsors first.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:00 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of options available from lots of folks. Of course, you probably already realize that. If it is indoors, especially if it is not a cab, I'd probably go with one of the cotton/flannel ones. They breathe real well, very soft on the finish, and still protect from dust and minor things like folks bumping into the car while they walk past. Unfortunately, if you have a canvas top, they tend to leave a bunch of lint or fuzzies on the car's top. In that case, I'd go with the synthetic fabric that has some loft, they are also very soft and breathe. My assumption from your signiture line is the flannel/cotton is the best bet. I bought a custom fit cover through Performance a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a flannel one from Gert Carnewal. It was made to measure because of the RS configuration; front splitters and rear wing.

The color is not exactly a match for my car but it is close. It is Ferrari Red whereas my car is Guards Red. The fit is perfect.

Available in various colors. Euros 195... made to measure
Old 11-24-2004, 11:08 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a "Covercraft" custom (ie made for the measurements of my car) flannel. Very good fit and very soft it's not for outdoor use though.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:37 PM
DJD
Instructor

Gert makes a very cool one. I got one in red with a Porsche crest, its fitted for a 993. It looks great.. Look on his web site.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:22 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know how much Gert's covers cost, but I had one made through a local upholstry (sp?) shop for about $100.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:28 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

I recently posted about the Porsche cover I purchased at a Porsche dealer for $100 shipped - great cover. They probably will make the same deal for you - do a quick search. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Here is Jim's posting from September. I bought one and it was OEM and perfect. $100 shipped!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/160566-great-deal-on-a-silverguard-car-cover.html
Old 11-25-2004, 09:34 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Ok - Normally I am the first to say thumbs up to any extra $ that we can spend on our babies, but is a $100 car cover really necassary? I am certainly not trying to be contrarian here. I was thinking about going to Wal -mart and getting the $20 cover. For cars staying inside for the winter is there really a difference between covers? I was even giving some thought to placing an old sheet over the car. Maybe I am missing something here. Please enlighten me before I make a potential blunder.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I have used car covers for the last 30 years. Although my cars are normally garaged, they are parked outside when I am at work. I always keep them covered if they are going to be parked for a period of time in the sun. With a good wax job and a good cover I have no concern for the finish. The cheap covers don't hold up well. And, in my opinion, don't keep out the dust and dew as well. When I had a motorcycle I also kept it covered in the garage. With a cheap cover the dust would always find its way in. With a high dollar cover the dust would not make it in. For the extra money a good quality cover is worth it.

Quick Reply: Car cover suggestions needed