Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Technical Session recap, you should have been...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Nice try at a "side-step". Tell you what - you let me know when your "informationsal" page which has been changed so it is "so helpful", and it's not soliciting for customers - and doesn't include the following text and links, OK? Ready:" - John D -

You obviously didn't get beyond the Home page. There're 15 other pages. The majority of which provide extensive information for Porsche & other car owners.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 11-21-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:30 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
......You obviously didn't get beyond the Home page. There're 16 others. The majority of which provide extensive information for Porsche & other car owners.
Oh - I'm sure they do - and I must complement you on having "16 other" home pages - frankly - it's a feat that breaks any HTML code I'm aware of - but - I'm certain you must know better....

Good luck to you and your business.

But before I go - you SPAM Rennlist again - you are gone. Do a "Copy & Paste" or let folks know your affiliation as a vendor.

It's pretty well articulated in the TOS/Charter, which you agreed to when you while registering.

Have fun,

John
Old 11-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Bobby T Nailed it!!!!

Bobby,

You took the words right out of my mouth, well not really. That was an incredible summary you wrote up. I think you post should be mandatory reading for ever present and potential 993 user.

And once again, hats off to Tony Callas for hosting the Tech Session. I learned a lot, as did most everybody in attendance. to Bobby T.!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Super D
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Martin, Bobby and others: Did anyone video tape the tech session?

Thanks Bobby!

I didn't hear of the session 'til late in the week, and couldn't get outta family stuff to attend in time.

Did anyone VIDEO the tech session?

That's something I'd like to get a copy of if anyone did.

After Bill B. sent out the email, I emailed him asking if there would by chance be a "white paper" of the session for those who got late notice and couldn't attend--I really wanted to, this would've been terrific!

Dave C.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:33 PM
jmriggio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bobby for the great notes! My vacuum distribution port is flattened as well....Is there a DIY for that....I searched the board and didn't find anything... Doesn't look too complicated.
--Joe
Old 11-21-2004, 09:52 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Slapshot, Martin S, Super D, jmriggio:

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't see anyone making a video. I took just a few still pictures of the SAI port, new valve guides, and location of the oil pressure/temp sender.

jmriggio: The vacuum distribution port is just the rubber piece that you see flattened. It looks easy to replace, just unplug the vacuum lines from the old part and plug them into the new one. Just don't insert the plastic tubes more than 8--10mm into the rubber piece. You may want to remove the heater blower to get better access.

I also do some tech writing for one of the Rennlist sponsors under the name bob@biguglybirdwithahugebeak.com (don't shoot, John, I'm not trolling for business :-))

BobbyT
Old 11-21-2004, 10:15 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 66 Posts

here are some pictures of the vacuum distribution port thingy:

on an engine with the blower fan removed:

close up from a dismantled engine:

on my engine. some collapse evident:

i checked the rubber distributor on my car, engine shut off and engine running. It didn't collapse any further when running - so is still functioning OK, but the rubber is obviously starting to break down. Time for a new one soon.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:59 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great photos Max! That's it. To bad mine is flattened like a pancake. BTW ~ The first one of us who finds out where to get this part on the net, let's please post. I checked Pelican, nothing. I'll keep looking.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:20 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by max911
i checked the rubber distributor on my car, engine shut off and engine running. It didn't collapse any further when running - so is still functioning OK, but the rubber is obviously starting to break down. Time for a new one soon.
damn.... max! by any chance do you have a part number... or just ask the parts guy for a new rubber dist. ? will check mine asap.

thx. great thread! gerat tech session!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:25 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 66 Posts

the part number is on the piece itself.

IF it is 993 110 573 00 (not 100% sure from the PET), then here it is in the Pelican catalog.

If that is not the correct number, let me know and i will edit my post.

max
Old 11-21-2004, 11:54 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't find the part in PET. The number is almost legible in Max's last picture--maybe he can read it from the original, or get it off the part.

BobbyT
Old 11-22-2004, 09:08 AM
jmriggio
Advanced

Great photos! Thanks. If that is all you have to do then its a DIY.
--Joe
Old 11-22-2004, 10:39 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A quick note:
Anyone ordering that part should whould also remember to order the fuel shut-off relay......
JRG

2nd note to jmriggio: Your car is soooo beautuful, will you please put some suspension on her....
Old 11-22-2004, 05:48 PM
jmriggio
Advanced

JRG:
Thanks so much for the compliment..I've had the car for a few months now, but I've wanted this particular car since 1997...I remember saying then "If I ever own a sports car...its going to be that one.." The time came, and it took me the better part of a year, but a found a nice one. Just learning about the 993 and this tech talk was incredibly informative for me...Don't know much about suspensions at this point but I plan on learning.......Intersted to hear your suggestions.
Thanks again.... this is a nice online community here.
--Joe
Old 11-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

My vacuum thingy is flat as a pancake. I am taking it to Callas for a fix while I am over at Steve Alarcon's place having my car raised up a bit.

I am in no way casting aspursions on anyone who wished to buy their own parts and DIY. I know I saved some money when I bought new rotors and pads and installed them with a Porsche buddy. And there was a great sense of accomplishment when the task was done. Of course it took me all day and a shop could have knocked it out in a few hours, I got the satisfaction of doing the job...the same was true when my neighbor and I installed his PSS9s and RS bars.

Here is the reason, and it just my personal reason, for NOT buying the part and installing it myself in this case, although I am certain I could do it and probably save a few bucks. I AM going to take my car to Tony Callas because he is the person who pointed out the problem to us, a problem I, and apparently a lot of other folks, have been living with for God knows how long.

It is a little "payback". With Tony supporting PCA and POC with an outstanding and informative Technical Session, I feel obligated, in ther most pleasant sense, to steer some business to Callas Rennsport. I am certain that Tony had a lot of other things he could have been doing last Saturday other than a Technical Session.

That is the way it works in my world. In my humble opinion, the things I learned at the Callas Rennsport Tech session will save me thousands of dollars in the long run. I figure I am way ahead now with the wealth of knowledge I(we) picked up.

For those that want to shop for the part and DIY, that is your call. This is not a lecture; I just felt to express my outlook on this issue. Thanks for reading (If you got this far).

Best regards,

Quick Reply: 993 Technical Session recap, you should have been...