993 Forum 1995-1998

Dash lights flickering

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Kristoffer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash lights flickering

Just recently I have noticed that when I slowly start from a stand still that on occasion all of my annuncuator lights slightly flicker! It doesn't do it every time and it only happens when the rpms are very low. My brake pad light is on so I don't know if that is adding to the problem
Old 11-19-2004, 12:49 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Do they flicker dimly or at full brightness?

If they flicker dimly it is probably a low battery, a loose/worn alternator belt, or your alternator is getting ready to take a dive. Something in the charging system at any rate. When your revs increase you are getting more juice out of the alternator and the problem disappears.

Any squeals or unusual sounds from your belts? Also check the temperature of your alternator belt after you have run the car, if it is noticeably higher than the temp of the fan belt it has probably been slipping. Also check if the alternator belt looks worn; noticeably narrower than the fan belt, or if it has a glazed appearance on the sides.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There have been problems reported with the engine wire harness, which leads to all kinds of weird symptoms. Have your technician open the harness, a few inches toward the engine, near the intake manifold for cylinder #2 (There is a sleeve-like cover on the harness). Wire harness failure will be immediately apparent because the insulation on the wire fails and they can touch each other. This can create havoc, such as starter activation while the engine is running! I've heard that Porsche has a recall in place for this problem, but have not verified that. Let us know what you find!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
macanswer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kristoffer
Just recently I have noticed that when I slowly start from a stand still that on occasion all of my annuncuator lights slightly flicker! It doesn't do it every time and it only happens when the rpms are very low. My brake pad light is on so I don't know if that is adding to the problem
Certain warning lights in my left two dash gauges starting pulsing on faintly yesterday. I think this started to happen after I plugged a power inverter into the cigarette lighter shortly after starting the car. The pulsing does not seem to be related to engine speed, road speed, change of motion or electrical load. They just blink for about a second randomly every few minutes. I've tried to take a picture of the lights that come on but they always fade out before the shutter on my digital camera snaps the picture. Instead took a photo with the key on and drew a box around the lights that are coming on during driving. I didn't see that this thread ever got an answer so thought I'd post here. I'll be checking the belts and engine wiring harness which had a recall from Porsche as well as the charge output of the alternator and the condition of the battery
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Dash lights flickering