993 Forum 1995-1998

Cold air still stinks !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 01:28 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air still stinks !!!

Last year I had a thread because my cold air stinked. I had a few answers, I tried several things, bought some sprays, it helped for a few weeks, but the bad smell is still there...

Only the right side pollen filter has this bad odour, the left side is OK, so it comes from the right side. And the smell goes away if I use the warm air coming from the engine. So it comes from the cold air (I'm not using the A/C, I never trade horsepowers for a cold).

So my question is : does anybody have a diagram of the cold air ducts ? Where does it come from, before entering the right side pollen filter ?

Thanks,

-Guillaume
Old 11-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a similar problem on my Audi TT Roadster. Solved by using spray, a new pollen filter and a 4 hour drive with AC at full blast.

Dried out everything. Now I turn on the AC one hour a month summer or winter. Works for the Audi. (My P has no AC)
Old 11-19-2004, 08:19 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you describe the smell a little more? Is it like a moldy type of smell or more like a dead animal or ???
Old 11-19-2004, 08:42 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

For some reason, many highline cars seem to suffer with mold build-up in the ventilation systems. BMWs are known for that problem because it automatically shifts from outside air to inside recyling mode. For the BMWs, they have a service campaign which "cleans" the ventilation system. Uusual DIY fixes is to remove the pollen filters, spray liberally with Lysol run the system with the snowflake (ac compressor)off, repeat again and then install new pollen filters.

I have been told that a good practice is to run the ventilation system for the last few minutes of your drive with the snow flake off to allow outside air dry out any moisture build up. Does this work....some say yes but no guarantee.

Why I never had this problem with my Hondas.......go figure!!!

Quick Reply: Cold air still stinks !!!