'95 CAB $35K - Should I Buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 12:08 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Post '95 CAB $35K - Should I Buy it?

I came across a '95 Cab with 126k miles, Adventure Green/black. Carfax indicates 3 owners and clean title. The dealer only has records from the last owner. Recent major service and clutch replacement. New top, new tires, chrome wheels, CD changer etc...no wind stop.

I will be using as a daily driver and tend to put on close to 20k per year, so I am thinking that a high miles car might be better beacuse most of what goes wrong probably has been fixed and if I buy a low miles car I will quickly turn it into a high miles car and lose more on the depreciation.

I recently watched a '95 C4 cab with 65K miles go on EBay for $35,200 at a dealer in Houston but don't know if that was a real purchase or the dealer bailing himself out of a sale.

All thoughts/recomendations/cautions are appreciated.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
At 126k, sounds too expensive to me...
Old 08-24-2002, 01:51 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think that the high mileage works against you if you're going to use it as a daily driver - at 20K per year, you'll only get 2.5 years out of it before the possibility of major engine work (i.e., complete engine rebuild - $10k+). Also, higher mileage cars (even very well-built ones like Porsche 993s) have little things pop up periodically, that could take the car off the road - if it's your every-day driver, this could be a problem.

I would spend the extra $5-7k and get one with lower mileage.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2002, 10:18 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Depends on the region as far as the pricing, but 993s last a butt load long time if taken care of. I bought at 95k, added a clutch, I'm good to go. PPI & even tearing it apart for the clutch the mechanic said I'm good to go for the forseeable future...said it is in fab shape.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Mark '98 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds a little high for the mileage to me too -- there are lots of 993s on the market now and patience may pay off for you. Better to do some research first. Some ideas for you to get a feel on pricing:
(1) Porsche Market Letter, a national Porsche classified magazine, (subscribe at <a href="http://www.pmletter.com)" target="_blank">www.pmletter.com)</a> is where I found a '95 cab a couple of years ago.
(2) Look at <a href="http://www.californiacars.com." target="_blank">www.californiacars.com.</a> They handle mostly used Prosches and have lots of pics; but, you'll have to call about mileage.
(3) ads on E-bay: <a href="http://listings.ebaymotors.com/aw/listings/all/category10156/index.html" target="_blank">http://listings.ebaymotors.com/aw/listings/all/category10156/index.html</a>
(4) <a href="http://www.edmunds.com" target="_blank">www.edmunds.com</a>
(5) <a href="http://www.kbb.com" target="_blank">www.kbb.com</a>
Old 09-07-2002, 04:50 PM
H. Miller
Racer

Price is high for miles. Here are a couple of 95 non-cab examples I have seen:
7k miles $40k
45k miles $35k
Has the wiring harness been replaced?
Old 09-07-2002, 06:35 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Exclamation

Price is too high?

Sure that is some miles... But are you people nuts! What can $35K buy you today in something comparable?

A used 3 series cab? An Audi TT cab? A used SLK Benzo cab? A new Miata? A new Mustang GT convertible? No thanks.

This car is a Porsche people, and $35K for a 993 cab version is a steal.

Sure, I am up on the current market too, and I have seen my share of lower priced 993's. But, that does not mean that EVERY one has to now be CHEAP.

Porsche prices are low now in some cases, and there are deals out there. But $35K for a 993 cab IS a deal. You cant beat THAT much car for THAT little buck. AND... Remember... Not every 993 is a cheap wholesale pig. If this car is nice (I dunno) then it is well worth the money. NO MATTER if you have seen a similar car go for less.

You never know if someone had a mortage payment to make, and had to bail on their 993. Just because some poor guy took a low buck on any version of car does not mean that now every car like it is worth that same low dollar.

As averages go, $35K is pretty sweet for a 993 cab.

Lastly... Not EVERY 1995 has been effected by the wire harness. That item is just another point that should be factored into your consideration. Try not to base any '95 purchase on that detail anyhow.

You check it out, and see what you think. $35K? Man, I wish I had room for a bunch of them.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:28 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all the great input - I passed on this car because I found a '97 cab with 70M for $38.3K - I passed this one up because of PPI issues.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Gene
Track Day

Lightbulb

For around 7k more than you were going to spend,
you can pick up my 95 cab that has over 100k less
miles. Same color that you described. Check out the ads. It has 22,100 miles and is in pristine cond, near stock except for cd player, motorsound and RSR mufflers. E mail if you want more details.

Quick Reply: '95 CAB $35K - Should I Buy it?