Sponsored by:

Flatbed tow advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 05:52 PM
azs
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Flatbed tow advice

Is there anything in particular to be careful with when towing a 993 by flatbed?
Thank you.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:01 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 562 Posts
I guess the tie downs are covered in the archives. From my experience, make sure the engine is running when he backs it off, or there are no power brakes.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:40 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YES!!! Both my 993 and my friend 97 993 were damaged in silar ways during transport. The jacking plates behind the front wheels will easily support the weight of the vehicle BUT... should not be used as an anchor.

They have a nice slot in them that transport company's like to use for tie down straps. Don't let them put their hooks into the jacking plate. It takes very little pulling pressure to break the plate away from the unibody. In my case they put a hook into the plate and started cranking down the strap when "CRACK" the plate simply broke loose from the car. I had to have CT Automotive in Campbell weld it back. They did a very nice job. (thanks CT Auto.!)

Long story short... Insist on the transport/towing company using a "soft-lock" system to transport your car. It basically consists of straps that go around the tires and hold the car in place rather than hooking tie downs to chassis parts, or worse... suspension arms.

Best of luck!

MC
Old 12-09-2001, 01:10 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think our 993s have tie down loops in the front. If you turn the wheels and look in the wheel wells, you will see a body color hole that hangs down. Some racers use those holes to tie down their cars on the trailers.

Also, use your toe hook in the front bumper for pulling the car on the bed - not any suspension pieces. Too many parts have been bent by just hooking on to the tie rods etc...

E. J.

Quick Reply: Flatbed tow advice