Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Porsche Parade and Hershey Swap Meet 6/25/05 - anyone going? Save the date!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default 2005 Porsche Parade and Hershey Swap Meet 6/25/05 - anyone going? Save the date!

I know - you're probably thinking - why is he posting this now? Well, we're about to go into a long, cruel winter here on the east coast and some of us have to have something really great to look forward to for next year! I was reading Panorama magazine tonight and saw the article on the 2005 Porsche Parade and realized that they tied the regular April Hersey Swap meet into the same weekend and made it the whole week of June 24th, with most daytrippers like me probably just going up for on Saturday June 25th for the "National Literature and Parts swap meet". Too bad the 1st ever PCA museum depicting "the history of Porsche, Porsche parades and PCA decade by decade" doesn't open till Monday . I'm not sure why they'd do that as most people will come on Saturday for the day. It says in the article that the PCA museum will last for only a week and not to miss it, but if it's only open Monday, most people will, won't they?

Anyway, I am definitely planning on going and can't wait. Only 7 months away !

Here's the details in case some of you may have missed it:

"As you make plans to visit Hershey for the 2005 Porsche Parade from 25 June - 2 July 2005, the first weekend promises innovations and excitement for both Parade registrants and day trippers. On Saturday 25 June, the first ever National Literature and Parts Swap Meet will be held on the expansive parking lots behind the Hershey Amusement Park outdoor stadium.
Brought to you by Central Penn Region, the same folks who do Hershey in the spring, this will be a reprise of that swap meet with a national flavor for vendors and buyers alike. East Coasters know Hershey in April is huge. A National Swap Meet at the Parade on this day will be a great opportunity for Porsche lovers across the country to experience the great automobile
traditions of Hershey and Carlisle-only with a Porsche flavor!"

Date Time - Activity
Friday
June 24 Welcome Tent
Registration at Hershey Lodge and Convention Center
Concours Preparation open (parking lots, airfield and covered garage)
Safety Inspection at Lodge side lots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday
June 25 Welcome Tent
Registration and Safety Inspection
National Literature and Parts Swap Meet at Hershey Park Lots
Goodie Store Opens
Welcome Party

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday
June 26 Concours d'Elegance and Car Show at Fairways 1-9, Hershey Hotel Executive Golf Course
Concours Banquet at Hershey Lodge and Convention Center

Monday
June 27 TSD Rally
Parade Museum Opens
Golf Scramble
RC Cars and Ice Cream Social
PCA President's Reception

Tuesday
June 28 Porsche Club Academy (PCA) Day (Tech Sessions all day)
5K Walk/Run
PCA Executive Council and Board Meetings
Family Gimmick Rally through Lancaster County
Autocross walk-through from 1PM
Parade Rally Banquet

Wednesday
June 29 Autocross at Hershey's Amusement Parking Lots
Parade of Porsches to Antique Automobile Club of America Museum

Thursday
June 30 Autocross
Autocross Awards Banquet

Friday
July 1 Tech Quiz
Volunteer Party
Victory Banquet

Saturday
July 2 Drivers Education at Watkins Glen Sponsored by Potomac Region

Sunday
July 3 Drivers Education at Watkins Glen Sponsored by Potomac Region
Old 11-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there. We will be taking 2 of the 3 P-cars. We are going up Sat through Mon. See ya there
Old 11-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Forever993
Advanced

Chris and I were just talking about it. We are trying to figure which cars to take. The thought of DEing Watkins Glen sounds good, but it's a hike in two track cars. I think we will be there one way or the other. Does anyone have any opinions on Watkins Glen?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:48 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Robert and I are planning to go, but we are NOT doing the Concours. Been there, done that. It's just not that much fun for us like it used to be, and it's WAY too much work. So we figure if it's not fun anymore, why do it? STILL everyone has to try it at least once and make up your own mind
More than likely we will fly up or maybe drive up in the 993

JoAnne

PS: As for those of you just going up for just one day.... The best spectator event is the Concours even if you are a rabid track junkie. The number of cars on display will be just mind boggling, including race cars!!! Of Course, this is just my humble opinion. We've only been to seven Parades. There are still some folks around who have been to all of them!!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:26 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ERodMotorsports
Chris and I were just talking about it. We are trying to figure which cars to take. The thought of DEing Watkins Glen sounds good, but it's a hike in two track cars. I think we will be there one way or the other. Does anyone have any opinions on Watkins Glen?
The Glen is an tremendous track. It is an icon of American roadracing and will have you seeing "Gulf Blue" (armco) in your sleep. You will NOT regret your decision to attend.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I am planning on attending. Not too often does the Porsche Parade come around our side of the country! Should be fun and I hope to meet all you Rennlisters.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are sending a transporter from Orange County to Baltimore, 7 cars or so.

Then we are planning on taking a week to drive home afterwards. Now that the schedule has changed from the customary Sunday - Saturday, we'll have to move our plans up by one day.

Looking forward to getting some discipline from Mother Superior, a refugee from our Region.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to see the excitement about the Parade alreadying brewing. It will be a blast. The concours will also have a people's choice car show. So you'll be able to park your pride and joy (as long as it's a Porsche) on the fairways alongside the concours and historic cars.

FWIW, Central PA will be hosting TWO swap meets in 2005. The traditional April swap meet and the first ever National Swap Meet that starts off the Parade.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:40 AM
solsrch
Pro

Manny,
Thanks for the confirmation. I can't make the Parade but was counting on the annual trek to the swap meet to get a fix.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:57 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

We really want to go this year. PA in June should be nice. Last year Texas in mid-summer, I don't think so. Hot *2. This would be my first Parade, so I'm looking forward to it. May take a car, don't know yet. Hope to meet some of you guys.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When they've had the Swap Meet in April, the date coincided with a 'run what you brung' type hillclimb put on by a local vintage race group recently-lots of fun to watch the old cars. I guess it won't coincide this year.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks for the info Manny! I'm really surprised that Central PA is STILL hosting an April swap meet so close to the National one in June. Do you have the dates for the April one yet and is it also in Hershey like every other year? I couldn't find any info on the web. I'm probably just saving my resources and energies to just do the June swap meet in the end... It seems like the June National Event will step on the toes a bit on the usual April gig if it's in Hershey.
Also, do you know why that 1 week long Porsche "Museum" will not be open till Monday? That's a drag for all the daytrippers like myself that only go for the swap meet on Saturday. I have to work on Monday! I think they're missing a real opportunity there.

I guess I'm not the only one who's thinking ahead for next June. I love seeing the 356's and early 911's...

Glad to hear alot of you are going. I've never been to a Parade before. It sounded kind of weird till I read the description and it's history in Panorama. I didn't realized that it all started in 1956 right up the street from my house "when the newly formed Porsche Club of America gathered together from across the United States to enjoy four days of social events and friendly competition. They called it the Porsche Parade, because they actually paraded their 356's through the streets of Gaithersburg, Md, in a celebration of the enthusiasm and pride they had for their marque. It was the first brush of what has become a great North American tradition of Porsche ownership and the genesis of every significant Porsche gathering in the last half century, from Boxster Rebellions to Rennsport Reunions." Sweet

It's exciting for me, planning to see all those historical cars and meet up with fellow Rennlisters again away from my home town. Last year was the first time I showed up at the swap meet and actually knew people there from our local Rennlist Meet and Drives! It's a cool community we have. Not only do we get to drive these great cars, but we can share stories and meet up with other afficionados a few times a year or more.

Was just walking through the mall yesterday and saw a guy from our local Meet and Drive 2 weeks ago. We're everywhere!

Steve
Old 11-18-2004, 10:25 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking forward going and plan to enter the concours event.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

The April swap meet is an institution. I don't think the June event will affect it one bit. Even Rennsport Reunion, which was scheduled on the SAME weekend this year, didn't hurt it.

The Museum is scheduled to open Monday afternoon after the rally. The room will be used on Saturday to house a Welcome Party for approx 1500 people. On Sunday the volunteers will start the long and laborious task of setting up the museum.

Take a week off and spend it at Hershey. This is once in a lifetime. Parade is all about social stuff. There's competitive events, but people go ever year to meet up with old friends and to make new ones. Sounds like a cliche, but it's very true.

Have you guys seen the webpage www.pca.org/parade/2005
Old 11-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
It is an icon of American roadracing and will have you seeing "Gulf Blue" (armco) in your sleep.
Hopefully, you won't be seeing blue armco on your Porsche.

The Glen is not the most forgiving track, but it is ultra fast, has so much history and is a total ball checker.

If you've never done it, it's worth the drive.

Oh, I'll be at Parade but, at this point, not sure how many days I'll be there.

Quick Reply: 2005 Porsche Parade and Hershey Swap Meet 6/25/05 - anyone going? Save the date!