Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best cloth for drying the car

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 05:32 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with AJ the Absorber is great. It is like the PS21 but more absorbant and bigger.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:52 PM
LarryN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using either the blade or this new cloth that looks like a synthetic chamois with holes in it (sorry, don't remember the name of the thing) - you basically lay it on a surface and drag it across. So either of these will work fine to remove the bulk of the water, but I always use a real chamois to finish the area afterwords.
Even though I have not used the blade on my 993 yet, I have tried it on the other cars in my family several times, including my black Accord, and it appears safe.
I have not found anything that absorbs better and leaves the surface of the car looking as good (and lint-free) as the real chamois. I have tried synthetic chamois in the past but was never happy with them, although after reading some of the posts here perhaps the P21 drying towel deserves a shot.
-Larry
Old 02-01-2002, 07:16 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<strong>... I use an air compressor to blow out the trapped water between moldings and such, you know the water that drips out over a period of an hour after you've dried the car.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that's a great idea! I'm almost embarrassed I've got a shiny new air compressor in the garage & hadn't thought of that. All the water hiding around the front & rear lenses are a pain.

And I can't get a speeding ticket generating a strong wind parked in the driveway, unlike the alternative
Old 02-01-2002, 07:51 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts
Hi Guys:

I love the P21S drying towel sold by Larry at <a href="http://www.carcareonline.com." target="_blank">www.carcareonline.com.</a> It absorbs like mad, doesn't scratch at all, and dries the car completely.

E.J.--I have tried the MF towel from Griots, and have to say I'm dissappointed. While it is great at drying the car about 95%, it does not remove that last wet film that leaves subtle water marks on the car. And you can't wring it out...once it's wet, it's done.

I am curious as to others' experiences--why are they so revolutionary? I know they wick away dirt and water better than towels, but I only dry a clean car??
Old 02-01-2002, 08:05 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Chris,

I am not sure how to respond. The one I mention earlier in the thread is designed for drying since it is large than most MF towels. I think the Griots are smaller and as such are designed for wax and QD etc...

The people I have talked to have no problem wringing out their MF towels after or during drying.

Maybe you have a different towel than the one I am thinking about from Griot's?

E. J.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:36 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts
No, mine is the large drying towel (approx $20) from Griots. I find it streaks the last bit of water...I guess I just like the squeaky dry result of the P21s towel.
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Smile

[quote]My only complaint about the P21S towel is its durability. 6 months of use, once a week on 1 or 2 cars and little bits of it are flaking off. Not sure if I'm wiping too hard or if this is normal.<hr></blockquote>

That is actually my complaint too Kim. I'm even worse than you are, I'm buying P21S towel once in 3 months because it's flaking off and leaving yellow flakes on the paint
Old 02-01-2002, 09:11 PM
magistro
Advanced

This blue drying towel sounds great. What is CMA. They sell the towels, but where can I find them?
Old 02-02-2002, 12:29 AM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

I use the PS21 towel or the Absorber, but here's a different spin...lay the towel down to absorb water and lift off - never wipe the car. My brother who owns a high-end auto body shop taught me this trick.

Never a scratch or swirl...
Old 02-02-2002, 01:57 AM
brandon
Instructor

I'm with AJ on the absorber. no streaks, doesn't seem to wear out. Never used anything else like it.
Wife bought it at autozone for $10 I think.
Old 02-02-2002, 01:59 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by magistro:
<strong>This blue drying towel sounds great. What is CMA. They sell the towels, but where can I find them?</strong><hr></blockquote>

CMA is <a href="http://www.properautocare.com/" target="_blank">Classic Motoring Accessories</a> in Tampa, FL.

FYI, they've a sale on now for the <a href="http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html" target="_blank">Big Blue MF towels.</a>
Old 02-02-2002, 08:43 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the P21S towel is put away at all dry, or left out for a couple hours, it will flake. I had that problem, but I now wet it thoroughly before returning it to the box. Haven't had a problem since. That said, the local PCA Concours guys around here recommend 100% cotton towels always . . .

Quick Reply: Best cloth for drying the car