How to remove bumperettes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 10:36 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question How to remove bumperettes?

I know, this has been discussed (did the search), but I couldn't find how one can actually remove them (front/rear)? Are they bolted to frame or... Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:27 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The bumperettes can be removed but you will end-up with cuts that need to be properly patched and the cover painted. To see for yourself, remove one of the fronts by prying open the rubber cap with a flat screwdriver. Then, remove the two nuts holding it in place. This will expose the cut in the bumper cover I am talking about.

Considering the cost of patching and painting of both bumper covers, you might as well get a new set of ROW covers and have them painted.
The following users liked this post:
Gjbacci (03-10-2021)
Old 12-07-2001, 01:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Thanks Viken, that's simple. How about rear?
I know about the holes but I have an idea to cover the rear holes; make a plate (aluminum) to match the whole licence plate 'opening' at the bumper, have it painted to match the color opf the car, the glue it to the bumper under tha licence plate. If it works, I'll make a autoCAd drawing out of it so that anyone can cut the plate with any CNC machine and it will be perfect fit. Can't I cover front 'holes' with euro lenses?
Old 12-07-2001, 02:11 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<STRONG>Thanks Viken, that's simple. How about rear?</STRONG>
Well, the front cuts cannot really be covered by anything other than a PU RIM patch. Once you take the rubber piece off, you'll see what I am talking about.

As to the rear, I have never looked for a way to get rid of the bumperettes because my car is black and they don't really bother me. I think there are screws through the bottom part of each bumperette. I'd look for those.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:14 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
FF - the rear bumperettes are easy. Take a look through the access holes on the bottom of the bumperettes. You'll see an allen-head screw attaching each bumperette to the bumper frame. Remove each screw and the bumperette slides off. However, you're now left with a piece of the aluminum bumper frame sticking out.

FWIW, here's where you mount a trailer hitch!
Old 12-07-2001, 03:49 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!

John: I was afraid of that
Old 12-07-2001, 04:25 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FF,

Tech EFX makes a cover for the rear bumperette holes, if you want to avoid getting a new Euro bumper altogether. Can't vouch for the quality, since I've only seen it on their website. Tech EFX

Old 01-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Question

Sorry guys, but I needed to pop this one up 'cause I need to know how to remove those aluminum 'bars' sticking out from the rear bumper (after bumperette removal) Help
Old 01-15-2002, 02:09 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I look at mine (for mounting the above mentioned trailer hitch) it seem slike they are riveted to the actual aluminum bumper under the plastic bumper cover. Look at the hole on the bottom where the L shaped metal piece hits the aluminum bumper - you should see a rivet or two.

It would be much easier if you were to go to a good body shop that knows late model cars and ask them to look at an exploded view of the rear bumper (not just the cover). If you get lucky and get someone who is half way smart, they will probably know bea able to answer your questions from memory.

If your next question is to ask where a good body shop is - call the local dealers and ask every one which body shop they use. THe one that gets mentioned the most is probably the best in your area. Might even try calling a F-car dealer.

E. J.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Talking

Thanks E.J.

I saw the rivets and maybe I'd be able to get ride of them but I'm sure there are another pair up too. It really is better for me to ask bodyshop what do they know about this.
I just thought someone must've done this 'cause to me, those bumperettes are just too damn ugly

Quick Reply: How to remove bumperettes?