Sponsored by:

New rear window (cab)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:39 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry New rear window (cab)

I am looking to replace my very scratched rear plastic window. The dealer (Porsche exchange Highland Park IL) quoted me $600 for the window and $600 for installation. This seems out rageous. Any suggestions...help.

TIA

David
Old 11-16-2004, 01:29 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand, replacement of the rear window on a factory top requires removal of the entire top and using a special Porsche tool to attach and reseal a new window. An upholstery shop (most of them do cab installs) can probably get you an aftermarket window or make one up and sew it in...but it will most likely still require removal of the top. Depending on the condition of your top you may want to just go ahead and get a new cab top as these are about $600-750 for aftermarket ones.

Depending on how bad the scratches are you may want to try using plastic polish on it first.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:59 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I saw a zipper back by the rear window. Anyone know what the zipper is for? I was thinking it was for replacing the window, sound like it's not...
Old 11-16-2004, 05:24 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think it may be more for installation/holding purposes. (wondered the same joe)

in the past i've used the meguires (3 step plastic polish, cleaner & cond. w/ great results)... best prod. they make (imho) don't use any of their other stuff @ all.

i remember i once cleaned a window that, before, could not be seen out of... unbelievable!

btw: david... may want to do a 'search' as i know new tops can be done for $1k @ local shops. before paying $600 for a window, think i'd get a totally fresh new top. ¢2!

Last edited by 24FPS; 11-16-2004 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:09 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry David but the rear windows are glued in place with a special tool that melts the glue with electric current. And yes the window is close to $600. You might just consider a new top that has a replacable window. You can get them for just over $1000 with the same German material as the factory uses. You will need to spend some time finding the proper one. There are some cheaper ones out there that are close to the same price, but use an inferior material. A new top from the dealer BTW is over $3000, and then you still need the rear window....
Old 11-16-2004, 01:02 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems that the canvas and the window have about the same lifespan if cared for properly. Replace the whole thing and your car will look fresh and new, ask me how I know $1,000 installed from a local guy who does work for all of the local shops out of his garage - he's a top guru - pun intended.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:15 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Default Cab window

Thanks for all the advice. The roof is new (replaced a year ago for a nick) so I guess I will have to bite the bullet and replace the window the expensive way. I have tried meguires to no avail. Thanks anyway.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:46 PM
ducman
AutoX

fbfisher,

I just recently purchased a 96 993 Cab that has a few holes in the top. Where did you go to get your top replaced?

James
Old 11-16-2004, 03:09 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

David,

If your scratches are deep, a new one may be the only way to go. My cab had a lot of small scratches which I was able to get out using a polisher. I was using a foam pad and 3M swirl mark remover. I turned out much better than I thought it would.

Shawn
Old 11-16-2004, 05:15 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by rabjohns
Thanks for all the advice. The roof is new (replaced a year ago for a nick) so I guess I will have to bite the bullet and replace the window the expensive way. I have tried meguires to no avail. Thanks anyway.
sorry to hear... but that BLOWS
sure there's gotta' be some great top shops in your area (besides takin' it to the 'stealer'... may want to check out some boat cover & canvas shops, as some do extremely good work. ---fwiw! bol
Old 11-16-2004, 09:11 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Talk about timing. I read this post and thought little of replacing my window even if it was scratched. I always have the top down. I spent the night at L'Hermitage in Beverly Hills Saturday night and when I got my car in the morning from valet, my rear window was slit. Accident? Vandalism? They are denying it, but I will have to wait and see what happens.
Michael
FB, who is this top guy out here in Cab Land?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:56 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mleds
FB, who is this top guy out here in Cab Land?
Yes, his name and contact info would be useful for future reference.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:50 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

I used O Hare auto body to replace my top. Today Eurosport recommended Biggs Bros in downers grove to replace the window. I have yet to call them. That is who the guys at eurosport use for their own cars.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:58 PM
tafkai

the zip is there so you can lay the un-zipped window section flat prior to lowering the roof !!!!!
stops it getting creased/cracked !!

also why cabrio rear shelfs are soft carpet and not like a coupe rear shelf , so the stored window doesnt get scratched !!
Old 11-17-2004, 04:14 PM
24FPS
Drifting

maybe for 'type 911' cabs.... but the zipper-edge has no function & no 'pull' on the '993'... would have been a good idea though.

cheers

Quick Reply: New rear window (cab)