Sponsored by:

Moisture in rear light bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Moisture in rear light bar

Anyone have a trick for drying out the inside of the center rear light bar? I've got moisture in mine that is most visible in the back-up light.

Is this a normal issue?

C
Old 01-31-2002, 03:11 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curtis,
I have same car and same problen. As a matter of fact, the PO brought the car back to the dealer to have them work on this problem. Any suggestions would be great.

Evan
Old 01-31-2002, 03:12 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 77 Posts
Hey Curtis..

I believe that moisture in the lights has long been an issue with 911's. I have some minor moisture in my rear lights too.

My brother who has a 1989 911 and is often plagued with the same problem. So, I am going to conclude that moisture in the lights is a pretty common problem..
I may be wrong though..
Sorry I don't have more info on how to correct.
Good luck and let me know what you find out.

B-line
Old 01-31-2002, 04:59 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem this fall and I was told to watch the high pressure washing in that area. I took the unit off and brought it inside near a heater with the lights plugs out and it dried in a day. I have not had the problem since.

I hope this helps some.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:25 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Curtis/Evan
Although not a widespread problem, it is frustrating when it occurs. The problem is water entering through gaps in the light unit seals. If not corrected the accumulated moisture can cause mold, discoloration or damaged reflectors in the light assembly. Despite pressure washing my car I have had no difficulties, so a good tight seal is possible.

A "fix" was described by "Allen - '97 993 coupe" in his old Board post:

Posted By: Allen - '97 993 coupe <shelleya@squared.com>
Date: posted 4/25/01 at 2:00 p.m.

The previous owner of my car had the entire rear lense replaced because condensation continued to collect in the area you mention. The problem occurred in the replaced lense as well. If you have discolored molding inside the lense, you will have to remove the assembly, then the bulb to gain access to the inside area, the somehow clean out the mold.

Since I was aware of the problem when I bought the car (it had no molding in it at the time), I have done (2) things: 1 - I removed the entire taillight assembly and used silicon to seal any "gapped" areas when water might enter and cause mold. 2 - I have just tried to be careful when washing the car, trying to minimize the amount of water flowing over that portion of the lense. This has worked for me as I have no condensation problem at all...however, I also never drive the car in the rain either.

Quick Reply: Moisture in rear light bar