Sponsored by:

Engine Loom burnt out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 11:13 AM
MarkC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Loom burnt out!!!

My '95 (non Varioram) grount to a hault in a large cloud of white smoke (coming from both exhausts) on Tuesday.
Garage has just called to say that the engine wiring loom has burned out causing the fuelling to go mad. Unburned fuel was dripping from both exhaust while it idled (very lumpily).
Anyone else had this misfortune?
I'm told that this is a recognised problem with earlier 993's and that the replacement loom is better insulated.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:41 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 255 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear about this! I assume "engine loom" is the same as "engine wiring harness". That said, there are a few on this board who reported wiring harness problems on their 95's. 96's and later had an updated version, therefore no problems.

Besides replacing the "engine loom", was any damage done to your car? Also, have you contacted Porsche to explain this? I would hope they would respond with some financial compensation or something.

Good luck and keep us posted. I too have a 945 993 with 90k miles and am considering upgrading my wiring harness when I do my clutch job.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:56 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Mark,

E.J. has been following this problem for some time and has a database of ID#'s.He could probably give you some useful data. I will e mail E.J. as he has missed your post.

Good Luck.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:02 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Just a little late on the pick up Bill.

Mark, why don't you surf on over to my site and read about the wiring harness problems that we are having. Your help in this matter would also be appreciated. You will understand when you see it.

Oleg,

Good idea.

E. J.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:14 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark,
This is indeed the known problem with '95 wiring harnesses. It happened to me. My condolences. I'd like to request you do two things. First, surf over to E.J.'s site (see his post). He's compiling a database of cars that had this problem, including the build dates of the failed harnesses, etc. Also, there is an open investigation going on at the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). These are the guys that investigate major problems, like the whole Firestone tire/Ford Explorer deal. Please call Frank Borris at (800) 986-9678, x68089. He is the lead investigator, and needs more input from people who have had the problem.

Some people have gotten some financial support from Porsche, others haven’t. I was luck in that my extended warranty paid for my repair.

Good Luck. There’s more info in the archives should you care to do a search.

Tom
Old 12-07-2001, 07:03 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

MarkC,
Your car wasn't at GT one was it?
I saw a car just as you describe when I went to pick mine up from a clutch and major service. Funnily enough I was asking how much a replacement loom costs as they were checking out your(?) car.
I hope nothing else was damaged.
Tito.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:16 AM
MarkC
Instructor

Yes Tito, P11RSR was me!

As so much unburned fuel was exiting the exhausts there is a good chance the cats are damaged as well. We'll only be able to tell when the emissions are tested post repair. If this is the case I feel some de-cat pipes coming on. (always look on the bright side)

Oleg "Wiring harness" is commonly known as "Loom" in the UK (no idea why).

E.J If only I'd know about your article before. I'll post the information you want to collate when I get the car back.

Tom I'm in UK so I don't think Mr Boris will be able to use my data.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:29 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

MarkC,
I thought so.
There was some serious smoke coming out of your car. Mine was the Midnight Blue, LHD with the walnut dash.
Peter and Craig seem to know what they are doing. I have come to respect their opinion. I used to go to an OPC , but I was won over by their attitude amongst other things.
Once I have recovered from this latest episode I will have to seriously consider having my loom changed.
Good luck
Tito.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:32 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

PS
I think that Porsche should do the honorable thing, admit liability and cough up.
I really hope that the American NT... nails Porsche and forces them to sort out their mistakes.
Tito.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:07 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 255 Posts
My earlier consideration as to whether to replace or not to replace my 95 993 wiring harness during my clutch job has turned into a definitive GO - in other words, I'm going to replace the harness.

As my mechanic and I looked into this (and talked to several sources), we both felt this is a logical approach and the value of doing this while the engine and tranny are out (for clutch job), that we should address the harness. Harness will cost $450 + labor for a total of around $750 - not cheap, but better to do it now, when everything is out, then later.

We'll inspect the harness, and if I feel there is merit to address this with PCNA, I will. There is no reason why a 95 wiring harness should be replaced so soon (7 yr old car!!)
Old 12-07-2001, 11:09 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
HOWLY COW BATMAN!!!! These are the 993's that are supposed to be better than the 996, in the quality department
Old 12-07-2001, 11:19 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
MarkC,

When was your 993 manufactured ? From what I read, it maybe more of a concern with earlier 993's that were manufactured in '94. But don't know for sure with limited examples sent to EJ so far.

Good luck with your repairs.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:28 AM
phil@tech9
Advanced

Mark C,

I am slightly confused, you state that your car is a '95MY, yet you have a registartion number P11 RSR !.

A P plate denotes a '96/'97 registration and it is not possible to register an earlier car with a later reg ?

I am sorry to hear about your problem, we had a car in a couple of weeks ago with the same problem, but it was a '94 model.

We had a major problem in that there were no replacement looms available from the factory, and had to source a good used loom.

Have you managed to order the loom for yours ?

Where did your loom fail, it is common for them to corrode in the rubber elbow that goes into the control box on the left side of the engine bay. You get moisture ingress that then settles in the elbow, and corrosion ensues.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2001, 12:07 PM
MarkC
Instructor

Tito,

Sounds like our cars are virtially identical ie Midnight Blue with Walnut Dashes!!
I've been quoted £400+vat for the "Loom" plus fitting. I'll let you know the final figure.
I wouldn't expect to get anything back from Porsche GB but as it is a potentially very dangerous failure point I'm disappointed they don't issue routine check advice to dealers and via PCGB.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:11 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Oleg Steciw:
<STRONG>As my mechanic and I looked into this (and talked to several sources), we both felt this is a logical approach and the value of doing this while the engine and tranny are out (for clutch job), that we should address the harness. Harness will cost $450 + labor for a total of around $750 - not cheap, but better to do it now, when everything is out, then later.

We'll inspect the harness, and if I feel there is merit to address this with PCNA, I will. There is no reason why a 95 wiring harness should be replaced so soon (7 yr old car!!)</STRONG>
Good idea to do it Oleg. Only issue is that it should not be that much labor with the motor out already. I paid less for parts and labor with the work done on the engine still mounted. Much bigger PITA!

Get me the info from you harness once you have it out.

E. J.

Quick Reply: Engine Loom burnt out!!!