Porsche scores victory in ALMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 10:25 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Talking Porsche scores victory in ALMS

And the cheaters lose.

This week's Autoweek reports that BMW has to meet new regulations that say it has to build 100 M3 GTRs before it can race at Sebring next March, and that the engine must appear in 1000 vehicles (it's a pure race engine!). Otherwise they face air restrictor/weight penalties.

Porsche's driven race cars thru loopholes before -remember the Dauer 962?- so there was some irony in BMW's rule bending and dominance this past year.

But I'd rather watch a GT field of 20 Porsches and an odd Corvette, than four BMWs and no Porsches, which was the prospect for next year.

M in C
Old 12-06-2001, 07:49 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

How come you get your Autoweek before me?

I think that is great news.

AJR staying in Steve???

E. J.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:12 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

E.J.

If your signature was "E.J. in Chi" you might.

All I can say is blame the post office.

BTW, I do frequently get it on Thursday, no rhyme or reason to it, except that maybe the carrier checks it out first.

M in C
Old 12-06-2001, 02:23 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Does BMW comment on the ruling in the article (I usually don't get my AW until Friday )? Didn't I read during the summer that BMW was going to build the GTR and selling it the public for 2002 anyway? Of course they have to have it done by March. Then there is the minor problem of using the engine in 1000 other cars . It would be fun to drop the engine in the 3 series wagon and not change the styling of the car (maybe even add the 4 wheel drive to it). You could have some fun with high school kids on Saturday nights!
Old 12-06-2001, 03:23 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

bet

I don't have the mag with me, but Tom Milner is quoted. He said something like "This is not at all good for Then he continued (or sniffed) "The restrictions are like putting a trailer behind our car to tow all the obsolete Porsches"

something like that. It was pretty good needle actually if you're in the blue and white crowd.

It also said BMW officials left the meeting shortly after the announcement was made.

I'm sure the full race engine would never last, or be intractable in street driving, but that would be one heck of a sleeper.
How about a soccer mom driving with a bunch of third graders. Pretty amusing.

m in c
Old 12-06-2001, 04:11 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Mine come on Saturdays.

Thanx for the update Mike. Look forward to hearing Tom Milner and others crying next year too (especially when they come to DC (open house for the first 5 respondees )

E. J.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:23 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts
I'm in both crowds- and the Roundel I got last night stated that BMW did indeed intend to build the GT3R (even had a picture of a very attractive street version). They also had another dig at Porsche (and I can't remember it exactly) but something about how they ought to quit concentrating on making the competition go slower and focus instead on making their own car faster.

In this case I think BMW is right- I'm getting pretty sick of hearing Porsche whining about the thing and then bragging about their record profits.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:31 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by George from MD:
<STRONG>In this case I think BMW is right- I'm getting pretty sick of hearing Porsche whining about the thing and then bragging about their record profits.</STRONG>
George,

I am not trying to start this agian, but please understand that the BMW race car was designed on a clean sheet of paper from the race dept. as a race car with a race engine.

The 911 GT-3R is built on the same chassis as the 911 street car with a high performance version of the street engine.

There is a big difference and if one was to read all the rules (I have) the BMW is not in them. The GT class is designed for street based cars with street based engines.

Period.

E. J.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:24 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>Mike,

How come you get your Autoweek before me?

I think that is great news.

AJR staying in Steve???

E. J.</STRONG>
Hi EJ:

My partner, Jeff, has not gotten any confirmation about next AJR's 2002 plans yet.

Too many things are still unresolved at Porsche A.G., the ACO, and of course, the sponsors who make this all possible. Once the ACO's rules about the GT class are sorted out and finalized and its clear about what the various cars's configurations would be, they'll determine if the GT-3RS will be competitive or not and proceed from there.

After racing for 3rd place for most of 2001, I don't think anyone is in a hurry.

Just my opinion but I forsee a very level playing field here one of these days. Dueling V-8's come to mind,.....
Old 12-06-2001, 06:35 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<STRONG>Just my opinion but I forsee a very level playing field here one of these days. Dueling V-8's come to mind,..... </STRONG>
Been wondering where youve been Steve. If you are correct (and i hope you are) then lets start a stand alone DTM in the USA.

E. J.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:48 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Below is a link to a pic of the M3 GTR street version next to the track car. Looks nice. I wonder if they are taking orders?

M3 GTR
Old 12-07-2001, 02:44 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

George in MD

Do you get a lot of value out of Roundel and BMWCCA? My wife has one of their cars.

The kind of dig you quoted may be worth it alone.

Mike
Old 12-07-2001, 03:13 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Mike in Chi:
<STRONG>
Do you get a lot of value out of Roundel and BMWCCA? </STRONG>
I joined BMWCCA when I had my M3, so I could get a discount if I went to any of their schools. At some of the events the discount was $50 or so. After my last school with a BMW club I don't think I will go any more, nothing like having someone who never drives on the track, except the once a year at their school tell you what you are doing is wrong.
Greg
Old 12-07-2001, 03:23 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mike,

As a former BMW owner and BMWCCA member, Roundel is interesting. It reminds me of a lot of the talk that goes on here. The letters to editor are one of two types, either the person got horrible service at some dealership of they got fantastic service. Much of the magazine worries criticizes that MB and company are closing in on BMW market because BMW is becoming more and more luxury orientated and less sport whereas Lexus and MB are trying get more sporty, sort of like the complaints Porschephiles have regarding cup holders and the pepper pot. At the time when I was a member everyone was complaining that BMW did not have competitive racing programs (prior to F1 and V8 M3) and that the company was poorly managed because the problems with Rover.

Roundel is basically Panorama for BMW. For a car enthusiast is worth the $45 membership.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:52 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I retract my comment about BMW taking orders for the M3 GTR. Based on today's currency exchange rate, the price is approximately $220K if that page is correct. I'll pass.
The GT2 is a bargain.

Quick Reply: Porsche scores victory in ALMS