Sponsored by:

Brake cooling

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:10 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake cooling

While I work on my car's diet, I am also looking at how to put in some brake cooling ducting to the center of the rotors up front. I did a search but was not able to find anyone who had run some ducting from the front (not necessarily through he brake duct hole) into the trunk area and then directly into the rotor.

I cannot put ducting in the fender well area coming through the front fender liners since the wheel/tires will simply wear the ducting out each event when the wheels are turned.

So if anyone has seen a solution that can run ducting perpendicular to the rotor and then out the front to get the air flow I would love to hear/see it.

I was thinking that some ducting could be put into the lower front splitter area (below the fog lights/brake duct holes) running it through the trunk wall in front. Then running it through the trunk wall directly to the rotor thus avoiding any wheel clearance issues with the ducting when turning. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2004, 10:14 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I didn't do it but Eric smashed it and put a guard up there (molded aluminum shield)... so it is now a ram air effect and no wear out with wheel turned... sorry I can't show any photo as the car is in winter storage already..
Old 11-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Kary,
You don't need to do that. There are factory pieces that allow you to connect a 3 or 4 inch hose to a "collector" that is carbon fiber, it is located just of aft the front fender liner and prevents the hose from being damaged. Looking for a picture of the exact part but I can't find one right now. Another option is to run the hose and build a cover from thin sheet metal or aluminum to prevent damage to the hose. The last suggestion is what I use, the ducting has lasted for two years.

Look on this web page towards the bottom and you may better understand what I am talking about.

http://www.scargoracing.com/html/brakes.htm

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 11-13-2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:49 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
I cannot put ducting in the fender well area coming through the front fender liners since the wheel/tires will simply wear the ducting out each event when the wheels are turned.
Kary, you'll just have to steer with your throttle
Old 11-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's wrong with the ones that run under the A-arms, then duct air to the rotor surface? Try Alan Johnson (AJ-USA).
Old 11-13-2004, 12:14 PM
kary993
Drifting

Ray, I have seen these before on the internet but never seen anyone who uses them in person. These do not seem to get as much air flow as a direct pipe to the front from what I can see. Am I missing something there. I assume the thin duct part is sitting just below the A-arm and it getting air directly or indirectly from the factory scoop?
Old 11-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kary, I have the AJ kit but have not yet installed it. The scoop sits below the A-arm and may even require removal of the factory "scoop". I do think with a simple bit of fabrication you could get more than adequate air flow into it.

Quick Reply: Brake cooling