Sponsored by:

Rain sensor option - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 05:29 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
Post Rain sensor option - opinions?

Too late now, maybe next time. Anybody have it? Pros and cons? If you have to replace a windshield, what is the extra parts & labor $ ? Could it be retrofitted if I replace a windshield? Simple OEM solution would be just hook the wipers into the speed-dependent radio volume control.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:46 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Terry,

I have this option on my '00 996. You are correct; it is great until you have to replace the windscreen.

Best regards,
Scott
Old 12-05-2001, 06:35 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I have this item on my '01 BMW and find it to be just another gimmicky option. It is totally useless to the average person who is perfectly capable of noticing the rain on his/her windshield.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:42 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Viken:
<STRONG>I have this item on my '01 BMW and find it to be just another gimmicky option. It is totally useless to the average person who is perfectly capable of noticing the rain on his/her windshield.</STRONG>
but Viken, it does relieve the driver from the bother of having to look out the windshield while making restaurant reservations on the handheld cell, plugging the address into the nav system, checking email on the PDA, sipping a cappucino and listening for the proximity alert while backing up the freeway to the missed exit ramp - sounds worthwhile to me.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:08 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis:
<STRONG>but Viken, it does relieve the driver from the bother of having to look out the windshield while making restaurant reservations on the handheld cell, plugging the address into the nav system, checking email on the PDA, sipping a cappucino and listening for the proximity alert while backing up the freeway to the missed exit ramp - sounds worthwhile to me.</STRONG>
Did you say NAV system? That's another gimmick I got stuck with on the same car. What a big waste of money!

Quick Reply: Rain sensor option - opinions?