Sponsored by:

Shift knob/boot replacement--I checked the archives

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 03:07 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift ****/boot replacement--I checked the archives

...but couldn't see how the **** itself comes off--do you just pull up on it? I couldn't find anything in the archives...also, there were conflicting opinions on whether to remove the console or not....shouldn't I just be able to pull the boot up and the **** off and replace it without taking the whole console out?

TIA
Old 11-12-2004, 03:17 PM
rkass
Racer

If memory serves me right, shift **** just pulls out from the rod it's sitting on. Actually about 1-2 inches of rod inserts into rubber base that is underneath covering of shift ****. I think your problem comes from the console sitting on top of plate that holds leather base of shift cover. I recall having to undo the two screws holding down rear of console (near where your elbow would be), removing two more screws found when you take the change holder out, one small screw under parking brake and several more under your front lower swith panel in front of shifter. If you need real help email me and I will look at section again to be more specific.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:20 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Rkass--I'll try it just with the console on first to see what happens--if it doesn't work I'll see if I can figure it out--much appreciated
Old 11-12-2004, 03:39 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

hi Cole,
did you look at the DIY on p-car dot com ?
if you scroll down the page a little, you will see the shifter removal instructions (without removing the console)
i will PM you a couple of my pics that may help a little too.

max
Old 11-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Cole,

Very easy to do.

Here is a portion of instructions from Gert on Robin's P-Car.com site:

"There are only one or two tricks here; the main one is disengaging the bottom of the leather boot from the center console trim. Basically, you push it down on the left edge, about 1" from the front & rear corners, to disengage it from a couple of brass catches. Use several layers of rag over the largest screwdriver blade you have, to avoid any damage to the trim or boot. In the photo below, I haven't put my left fingers on the blade close to the tip, but that's where the download pressure will be coming from; the right hand's just holding it in position. "

"Only the left side has these brass friction catches; the right side is simply tucked up against the underside of the trim, above a couple of peg-like projections. So once you've pushed the left side clear of the front & rear catches, you can wiggle it loose & pull it up above the trim. "

Go to Robin's site and pull up the directions and you see all the pictures. Should take you about 5 minutes to get the **** off.

http://p-car.com/diy/handbrake/

Once you get the boot loose, wiggle it through the console and pull it up and over the ****. You should now see the clip that holds the **** to the rubber mount on the lever.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Beat me to it Max !
Old 11-13-2004, 07:46 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Cole,

You don't need to remove the console(It would be easier if you do). The bottom of the boot has a stiff formed wire that acts as the frame to form the rectangle in the bottom of the boot. Wrap a flat head tip screw driver with electrical tape so it's not sharp. Slip it in between the console and the bottom of the boot and just pry the boot down. The bottom of tha boot is held by at least three clips that gives way. You can even push that bottom part of that boot down and it should loosen it self. Just be careful not to rip it. After you loosen the boot, pull it up and just jiggle the shifter back and forth while pulling upwards. It took a while but it came off. Here are two threads which talked about it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=shifter+my02

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=shifter+my02

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 11-13-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Cole

If removing the boot on a six speed is anything like removing the boot on my tiptronic, remove the console. It will save you a lot of effort and prevent damage to the console by trying to pry the boot out. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:34 AM
garychios
Pro

You have to remove the console, so that you can get underneath the boot and loosen a bolt that holds on the shifter. If you try any other way, you will break many parts. Its actually bolted on to the shifter with an allen bolt if I remember.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2004, 10:57 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to remove the console only if you are replacing the handbrake lever...but not if you are just replacing the **** - although if you have it off it makes things easier. To loosen the boot you need to gently press down on the left side...once this side is popped out of the frame then you can manuever the right side loose. The standard **** is just friction fitted..pull hard straight up but watch your face/chin/nose; but some of the fancier ***** though may have an allen bolt that holds it in...you'll be able to see easily once you loosen the boot.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:14 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to all who helped--that factory **** was a PITA to get off--it was unbelievable the pressure I had to put on it to pull it off...I got er done though and now I'll hopefully have an easier time whenever I get the handbrake replaced

Thanks to all who helped out.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:48 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I took mine off, I put a bit off grease on the shifter before I slid the **** back on. Hopefully next time when I need to take the **** back off it will be a bit easier.

Quick Reply: Shift knob/boot replacement--I checked the archives