Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used car prices dropping like mad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 08:50 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I learned in my 993 S search six months ago, someone can search all day long through the classifieds to determine the market price - it means absolutely nothing. I had six PPIs performed on six different "low priced" 993s - all showed at the very minimum that the car was involved in an accident. All owner's claimed the 993s to be accident free.

Jim
Old 12-05-2001, 10:49 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might trade mine, but sell it - NO WAY!
Old 12-05-2001, 11:04 PM
Ken Wise
Intermediate

B-LINE,
I flew to Fla from Ohio last month to buy my 96 Cab. After looking for several mos I found the availability in Florida to be as good as anywhere with the exception of Texas. I was told to avoid cars from that state at all cost because of their title laws and the ability to more easily hide accidents etc. because of it. I'm sure one could find a great car there also but when you are dealing long distance as I was you want to be sure. BTW, if you can buy at the bid, don't worry so much about selling there because everything is relavent. If your cars value rises then so will have the Porsches and maybe more.

Ken
Old 12-05-2001, 11:34 PM
Carmen
Advanced

I am in the same boat, but my boat has a bit more water. I have a '95 993 Cab, been looking to sell it, no luck yet. I did have it a bit high earler on but came down to a more realistic price, even lower.
I just recently took delivery of 2 '02 Audi's (A6 4.2 and an allroad). So I am in the process of selling numerous vehicles, and boy does it suck. Bill you hit it right on the head.
On a side note, not that i would do this(couldn't handle seeing a perfectly good car chopped), but could you get more for your car in peices then whole instead of selling.. just a thought...
So anyone in north jersey looking for a good deal on some vehicles, drop me a line.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:56 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Just saw a Cherry 1 owner 4S Guards Red w 20k trade for 52k in my town. I paid 40k for my 4s, 1 owner with 89k all books and records and no accidents, spare set of Turbo Twists included. Bought it in March of 01. I was looking for a car with high miles though for a reason...
Old 12-06-2001, 12:58 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Just saw a Cherry 1 owner 4S Guards Red w 20k trade for 52k in my town. I paid 40k for my 4s, 1 owner with 89k all books and records and no accidents, spare set of Turbo Twists included. Bought it in March of 01. I was looking for a car with high miles though for a reason...
Old 12-06-2001, 01:24 AM
B-Line home
Racer

I wasn't trying to browbeat anyone
sorry if I gave that impression.. I really hope I didn't offend anyone.
All I was trying to say was, if you want top dollar on a pre owned car, chances are likely that your not going to get it in this market. That goes for me too.
There are lots of C4S in florida and that's why the prices are low, I just haven't found the color combo I want yet.
I almost bought one the other day but there were some issues getting the PPI done. (it was already PPI,d but I didn't trust the place that did it and I wanted to do my own.)
We did not finalize a price because we were going to mitigate on price according to my PPI but the seller found a buyer who did not care to be as detailed as me.
Like I said, if I owned a CS4 right now, I would hold onto it until this, then that....(couple years)
The numbers I am presenting are on line with what people are paying right now who are actually buying. I did not mean to start a flame, I was just venting because the price scale's are totally out of whack. I see 20k price changes on the same exact cars. But the ones that sell are on the bottom of the scale.
So, if I offended or browbeat anyone, sorry!!!
I was just venting and I should not have..I am used to Audiworld which is always one giant flame, I gotta remember this is a gentlemens board, not a bunch of stuck up college kids with audi's !!
Old 12-06-2001, 11:39 AM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Cool

I keep hearing how the prices are dropping on '97 -'98 C4S'. That may be true for high mile/suspect cars. It is not for low mileage/ correctly optioned out cars. You can keep telling yourself that isn't true, but it is. The only thing dropping like a rock is 996 prices.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:00 PM
S.Fisher
8th Gear

I agree with Laurence,there are deals out there for high mileage cars,but low mileage exceptional condition C2S/C4S still command a 10-20% premium.I sold a 97 C2S with 8500 miles in perfect condition in Aug for 72000. and bought a like new everything as it should be 96 C4S with 4900 miles for 68000. I have had a S Fla. collector offer me whatever I wanted for the car when I drove it to a dealership to show to a friend there. This one will not be a car I drive daily or race and I expect it will appreciate over time.I have waited for this color/equipment combo for a long time and feel pleased with my transactions.I'm sure I'm not the only one.To infer that buyers or sellers in that price range are not around would be incorrect.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:05 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
there's a big difference between
pre sept 11, prices and post sept 11, prices..
that's when the used car prices started dropping like mad..
I really didn't mean to start an arguement here, I was just posting my findings.
I am sure that there is no one definitive price on these cars... It's all about what someone will sell it for and what someone will pay for it..
Hope to pass you soon
Old 12-06-2001, 09:11 PM
Mark Fig.
8th Gear

B-Line...
I think it is funny how you bash c4s owners for not listing there cars for the current market price but have said nothing about Audi S4 owners who do the same thing???

It could be that sellers are going to sell for as much as they can and buyers are going to pay as little as they can.

Good luck on both sides...
Old 12-06-2001, 11:34 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Hey Mark,
You know what,
Your absouletely right.....
And, I'm going to shut up now
I have my S4 listed much higher than it's market value...
Guess I really put my foot in my mouth..
cheers..
Old 12-06-2001, 11:38 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Guys try this ( you too B-Line)

Go to www.traderonline.com

Search used cars under "Porsche"

Then choose "993"

Type in your price range "$0-$50,000" within any distance of your zip code.

52 993s show up.

Now look at how many of them are 993s of the "S" variety.

ZERO

Now, of those 993s between $0 and $50,000 the lowest priced is 1995 C2 for $35,000. What a deal... uh oh! It's got a salvaged title! Hmm how about the 1995 993 Cab with 61K miles and Tiptronic (ewww!) for $36,500? There is a nice 1995 C2 6 speed w/ 38K miles that appeears to be a good deal at $40K. Everything goes up from there.

You can also check www.dupontregistry.com to see what the high-end buyers are paying. Do a search on the classifieds here.

The reality is that 993 prices don't seem to have dropped at all the the year since I have purchased mine or in the 12 months before that while I was searching. Older 993s get more miles on them as time goes on so they are worth a bit less. That does not pull down the price of the rest of the lot.

You just need to keep looking for your gem. Maybe you'll find it, or maybe you are looking at too much car.

Sean
Old 12-06-2001, 11:45 PM
B-Line home
Racer

actually I have found two at the right price..
only not in state
low 50's, under 21k miles, silver, fully loaded but no motorsound..
no accidents (supposedely), one owner,
from a non authorized dealer.
the other is private but I was slightly outbid by someone who was willing to accept the PPI, I wanted to do my own PPI and that killed the deal.
I have changed my opinion though and I now think the prices are all over the board. A good buyer can get a good deal and a good seller can get what they want!!
so it's a win win on both sides!!!!
hope to pass you soon..
Old 12-06-2001, 11:47 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Oh and sean..
I looked at auto trader, hemmings, dupont, and the numbers all over the place..
But that's an asking price...
Edumunds.com is a great resource to see what the dealers and wholesalers are paying and taking for trade in..
but I do agree with you, some people might still pay top dollar

Quick Reply: used car prices dropping like mad!!!