Sponsored by:

993 Warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 PM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Warranty ?

After doing a search, the list is too long so I'll ask again.

Anyone purchase a warranty for their car.

I just was informed today that the Porsche dealership I purchased my 993TT from a few months ago in which I thought a PCNA 24mo warranty was included is not do to some type of screw up. The car went through the certification program and was apparently even put in the national database. The dealership has told me they are now going to put a 48mo warranty under the car @$5000. The warranty is through "Millennium" which according to the GM where I bought the car allows you to take it to any shop for repairs. Obviously they screwed up big time and the end result could be serious if I wanted to take re-course on them. That is not my intent, I just wondered if anyone had ever heard of this company and offer any thoughts about this situation.

I want to get some words in effect that state " the dealership must pick-up the tab on any warranty work incase the 3rd party warranty company is dissolved and/or any items outside coverage by PCNA warranty that are not covered by Millennium.

Also, does anyone know whom to contact at Porsche NA to discuss my concerns about this.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 11:35 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

I have a few choice words for those aftermarket warranty companies which I won't print on this thread. Yes, I know some people have had terrific experiences with these companies. I, on the other hand, put them on the same level as any other scammers that you should run from at the earliest possible chance.
Once again, I have no experience with Millennium - and am not trying to impugn their reputation. My experience was with National Administrative Security Corporation.

Here are my two major issues with these companies in general:
1) The langauge they use to describe "pre-existing conditions" that are not covered is usually very vague. You can end up running into a situation where the warranty company will not cover a certain repair it calls pre-existing and the burden becomes yours to prove them wrong. The company (NASC) I had used to warranty my previous 993 never did an initial check of the car to ascertain a baseline of what is preexisting. Instead they simply denied a claim I made as such after 1 month of ownership. They could not respond when I asked them to explain to me how they were certain the condition was pre-existing, they instead said "if its only a month it has to be". Inspires great confidence to give these people your money!!
2) Dealerships usually have tremendous markups on these policies (usually around 30% - 40%). I have no problem with someone trying to make an honest buck but these policies are high margin items that dealerships will try to peddle all day long. If you do go for it, assume that there is a tremendous amount of negotiating room when it come to the price.

Personally, I would (and did on my second 993) spend the money on a competent PPI and budget the amount you would spend on the aftermarket warranty for potential repairs (would probably end up being considerably cheaper than the warranty).

In your case, my opinion is: 1) get a refund from the dealership for the amount the warranty was supposed to cost you as part of the car price; make sure its the retail amount, not the amount it costs the dealership; 2) If you want the warranty, then make sure that Millennium does a baseline inspection of the car and provides you with a written statement of what they will/ will not cover specifically on your car (not just in general); 3) have your dealership also sign the same document and have them add that they understand what Millennium won't cover and that they are responsible for those particular items.

disclaimer: I am in no way shape or form an attorney and these recommendations should not be construed as legal advice
Old 11-10-2004, 09:57 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have posted frequently about my warranty experience, so a search on my screen name with the key word warranty in the 993 fourm and you will see the threads.

Here is the most recent detail of all of the items that have been paid for by my extended warranty - as you will see, it has more than paid for itself in money and peace of mind:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/149434-what-probs-have-you-had-with-your-993-a.html
Old 11-11-2004, 12:51 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

fbfisher,
Iread your post regarding your extended warranty experience - good job! Sounds like you found a quality company. Its hard for me to think objectively on this subject but I guess there are some reputable aftermarket warranty providers.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:46 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Two issues to look at:
1) Deductable (if any).
2) If it is not explcitily stated in the contract as a covered item, it's not covered.
3) Contracts have varying levels of coverage from basic (internally lubricated engine parts) to full (nearly bumper-to-bumper). Make sure you are getting the higest level of coverage.
4) Talk to the places where you intend to get the car serviced/repaired, find out what their experience is with this company. In a dispute, they are your first advocate.

OK, so that was four things - I'm sure there are more but these will get you off to a good start on answering your questions.

Fred
Old 11-11-2004, 02:18 PM
tlark
Drifting

www.millenniumwarrenty.com

Thanks for your imput guys. For someone else needing later info from this company. The Platinum plan is the most extensive, it includes daily rental, towing, trip interuption, 24 hour roadside and the mech. aspects appear extensive as far as coverage. From what I have read and searched on the net they are pretty good and its transferable to the next buyer. My specific coverage is 48mo/12kyr w/$100 deductible with a cost of $5056 according to the paper work sent to me.

I commend the dealership for going above the PCNA policy and making this right after the screw up. I hope I never have to use the warranty.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:24 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My warranty had a "disappearing deductable" if I went to the dealer who sold me the policy. So my deductable was $0.

Quick Reply: 993 Warranty ?