Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Rennlisters Meeting - Wed 30th

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Rocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What time is the meet, and just remind me of the address is it Deans Lane?

Rocket

P.S got my tyres
Old 01-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

No John. C2 COU is still for sale

Have a great night

Mike
Old 01-31-2002, 07:46 AM
mags993tt
Instructor

Really good meeting everyone y/day. Just a shame the car decided to be sick for the first time that day...called AFN this morning who sounded pretty sure it was the battery since it was making a loud click but not turning over but that surprises me because the lights weren't too dim and the car had only been stationary for a week and a half. I'll have to search the archives.

cheers.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:49 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was a good evening with some great cars in attendance.
Tito
Old 01-31-2002, 08:10 AM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Maggs, yep, if you hear clicking when turning the ignition, thats the battery dead. Same thing that has been happening to me.

Was good to see you all last night, look forward to the next one. Tito, was going to follow you last night on the M25, but since I'm waiting to receive my first driving ban, thought that queueing up a second wasn't too good an idea.

Regards
Eric
Old 01-31-2002, 09:13 AM
greg1234
Racer

Yes, it was really interesting to meet.

Although I wish we'd got food sorted out. I'm still hungry.

Just been finding out about my wheels. Apparently refurbishing the 3-piece split rims is not a trivial task - to do it properly the wheel has to be broken apart, refurbished and then reassembled using new bolts and gaskets.

I've been quoted £250 to do the wheel. But worse than that - it'll take 10-14 days.

Worse still - - I've discovered in the process that the proper Speedlines for the Turbo 3.6 should have the words "Speedline for Porsche" along the rim - mine doesn't have them (since the wheels have evidently been refurbished in the past, and this wipes out the lettering). So if I really want to have the proper wheels with the lettering intact I'll need to buy a new set. Price? I've been told Porsche charge £5K - £6K for a set but that you can get an official set for £2K. Which is what I had budgeted to spend in servicing for a whole year!)

But now I know about the lettering I want it..
Old 01-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric ,
You are sensible, unfortunately my initial sentiments along the lines of 'oh God I will never speed again' are starting to wear off
I will have to get a grip before I get banned again.
Tito.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:22 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,
Ouch!
Old 01-31-2002, 10:54 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Yep, it was great meeting again and seeing some new faces along with the not so new ones.

MarkC, what happened to you on the M25, lost you eventually.

After all the scary speeding stories I managed to keep the car around the 85/90 mph mark all the way back (50 minutes door to door to Welwyn in Hertfordshire.

Looking forward to another meet, this time possibly in the daylight?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:03 AM
MarkC
Instructor

Riccardo, If you were keeping it to 85/90 I must have been in front of you... which I wasn't.

I slowed up for gantry cameras past J10 and lost you before joining the M3 South.

Not sure I want to see you lot in the daylight, but it'd be nice to see the cars.

The flames from Rockets exhaust wouldn't look as impressive in the daylight though.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:04 PM
Rocket
Instructor

First time I've had the opportunity to look at other 993s believe it or not, and talk to owners and I look forward to another meet. Perhaps we should arrange it so that we know that we are going to eat, as although I'm the size of a small bungalow, I can't eat two evening meals immediately proceeding one another.

Sorry for burning your eyebrows Mark.

Greg about your wheels. The problem (as with mine) is that whatever you do the lacquer will come off again and its an expensive exercise to replace all the wheels just for looks for some tyre shop monkey to damage them immediately thereafter. If you go for the new ones make sure you can claim under warranty when the lacquer starts to come off again, which it is sure to do. I met an RS owner at the ring who managed to get his wheels replaced under warranty for this defect. The lacquer started to come off my wheels when I let some kid clean my wheels and he started on them with Autoglm metal polish!!! Expensive mistake.

We discussed possible trackday meets, and if anyone wants to join me with several other mates I'm at the Nurburgring 3rd to 6th May (bank holiday) track open Friday evening all day Sat and Sun and after lunch Monday. The trip is about 450 miles from London door to door, and accommodation is easy to find and inexpensive. If you want to know more about the ring check out Ben Lovejoys site (who has just traded his MX5 for an 968 rag top for ring expeditions). <a href="http://www.marvin.co.uk/benlovejoy/nuerburgring/index.html" target="_blank">Ben Lovejoy</a>.

Steve and John's weekend at Goodwood is forecast snow (23rd Feb), so that should be interesting (my forecasts are rarely correct). It's forecast rain the day I'm going which is only marginally better.

Catch you all later

Rocket.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Francesco
Advanced

Greg

Have you tried Jasmine Motorsport?
01282 697171

Also, what about Speedline direct?
<a href="http://www.speedlinecorse.co.uk" target="_blank">www.speedlinecorse.co.uk</a>
<a href="http://www.speedlinecorse.com" target="_blank">www.speedlinecorse.com</a>

There's also a Speedline dealer who advertises in the Porsche mags (Porsche Post, 911 and Porsche World, GT).

Just don't buy em off Porsche!!!!!!!!!

Good luck
Old 01-31-2002, 02:22 PM
Steve in the UK
Instructor

It was great to see you all last night. I spoke with John this morning and we both feel that next time we meet it should be in the daylight, possibly at the weekend and somewhere closer to you guys from North of the Thames. Anyone have any suggestions.

Greg if you have to buy a replacement set of wheels try <a href="http://www.carnewal.com" target="_blank">Gert</a>, if anyone can get them at a good price he can.

Steve(Rocket) that space ship of yours is magnificent and it was a real thrill riding with you. The Ring thing is interesting I will speak to the wife and see what she thinks. Were you thinking of forming some form of convoy?

Mark C

Any chance of you putting in a word with the corner balancing Ferrari man for me?? I ordered the Hague camera mount this morning, it aint pretty but it sure does appear to work.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:15 PM
greg1234
Racer

I wouldn't dream of spending even £2K on a replacement set if only one wheel is damaged. I'd just get that fixed - that's the sensible thing to do. Certainly it would be mad to spend that sort of money on the car so early on in our "relationship" - I might develop a dislike for some aspect of the car's handling or something. The other reason for not buying new wheels is that - as pointed out by many of you on the night - chances are I'll do it again at some point!

The only reason for buying new ones would be, as I said, that I wanted the car to be completely "proper". But at the end of the day it's too much money to spend.

So I'll send it off for a refurb and - somehow - live without it for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:17 PM
greg1234
Racer

PS Rocket - so do you have a special "backfire" button in the car or have you learned how to do it on demand...?

Quick Reply: UK Rennlisters Meeting - Wed 30th