Sponsored by:

Shifter vibration is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 10:48 PM
c4-toy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Shifter vibration is this normal?

Hi, my 96 C4 Cab shifter seems to vibrate when the car is driven at high revs (4000rpm or so). It is only noticable when my hand is on the shifter itself. Shifting seems perfectly fine. I did recently have the gear oil changed to synthetic, but i remember this before i changed the fluid, but not as much. Thx for any responses. Joe B
Old 01-29-2002, 12:48 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
C4 shifters tend to vibrate a lot more than C2 shifters.
That is why the C4 shifters have a rubber center while the C2 shifters bolt or slide right onto the shifter shaft.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:54 PM
c4-toy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gert, not sure what you mean when you say, "C4 shifters have a rubber center". What do you mean by that. This is my 1st 911 and don't recall my other cars having this shifter vibration. I also drove a 2001 Boxer for a week and did not notice anything like this. Is this a normal phenomenon with 911's or is it a sign of something about to go wrong in the near future?
Old 01-31-2002, 12:36 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by c4-toy:
<strong>"C4 shifters have a rubber center"</strong><hr></blockquote>
Check out the pic of the backside of a C4 shifter. There is a big rubber between the shaft and the shifter.
993 C2 shifters don't have this rubber piece but are made in plastic and are glued onto the shifter shaft.
The shifter of my '96 C4S also vibrates during acceleration at high revs, so I should not worry.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:54 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

A hint - keep your hand off the shifter unless you're actually shifting. Resting your hand on the **** is imparting forces down thru the linkage to the shifting forks in the tranny.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:16 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I recently replaced the original shifter in my C4S with a modern aluminum version, which looks great. However, there was a bit of vibration on the first drives after installation that was not there before.

I tried to reseat it, push down on it, and even whacked it good on the top a few times in an atempt to reduce/elminate the vibration. I don't know whether this helped of if it's just getting settled, but the vibration seems to be much less as of late.

Why is the C4 shifter different from the C2, and is it the same as for the Turbo?

Cheers,

Skip

Quick Reply: Shifter vibration is this normal?