Looking for a 993 Cupcar

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Kev,
Call John Wright at Wright Tuning, he has a customer's 993 Cup Car and has listed it for sale. Not 100% certain that it is still for sale but it was a month or so ago.

Wright Tuning
4009 Borman Drive
Batavia, OH 45103
513-735-2300

My suggestion would be to buy a 996 Cup car. Parts are cheaper, more competition and much faster. Call Glenn Gatlin, he has a nice one that you could buy for not too much more than a 993 Cup (which are relatively rare).
At most races there are maybe one or two 993 Cups, I am sure the guys still have fun in them but the level of competition isn't there like the 996 cups.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:15 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

If that car was listed here and is from Cinncinatti it's sold. I missed it by two weeks.

I'm aware of all the plus and misses between the 993 and 996 Cups. You should see the stacks of engineering paper with notes that I've scribbled to myself. I'm still open to any car, but am leaning towards a 993. When it comes down to it 1) I had to admit to myself that I might not be ready for a 380 hp race car, 2) I'll never be as fast as the sharks in GTC3, and 3) I can't live with writing off a $100k 996 Cup if (when) I wreck it. There's a higher premium per dollar for a 993 due to rarity, but hopefully I get that $ back at resell.

Yeah, I've spoken to our buddy G-squared a couple of times about his car. If anyone can talk me into a 996 Cup you know he's the guy.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:39 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Kevin my friend not only you are going down the slope, but you added weights to go even faster downhill
My first thought was as well of why you dont get a GT3 Cup especially given the quantity and pricing. However I too think it actually may actually be a smart move to get a 993 Cup because if you want the latest and fastest GT3 it will be double the price. I guess you can pick a 99 GT3 Cup but most likely you will need to spend $$$ to see a podium where with a 993 cup you could see class wins.
There is also another alternative...to pick up a Euro 99 GT3 Clubsport and run C class. That car I think will be the weapon of choice running C class and you wont have to think about rebuilts and such expenses that you will have to go through with the cup cars. I also bet that this car properly setup will be so fast that you will be running very close to the other cup cars in lap times... At any rate I agree with Monique, mobile.de is a great site to pick up candidates! Here is what I found :

http://www.mobile.de/SIDpZN7iGSvjT6o...&doSearch.y=10
Old 11-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kev
Yeah, I've spoken to our buddy G-squared a couple of times about his car. If anyone can talk me into a 996 Cup you know he's the guy.
He could sell ice to eskimos!

The 993's are great cars too, you really won't go wrong with either.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:53 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Kevin, why not stick with the one you have. There is nothing wrong with it. I still think you need to cut you teeth on the car you have and then decide what you want.

George
Old 11-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rats... for an unknown reason, my link was wrong.

This should be the good one:

http://www.mobile.de/SIDDpFcwzaCZEB4...2&doSearch.y=9
Old 11-06-2004, 12:21 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Kevin, why not stick with the one you have. There is nothing wrong with it. I still think you need to cut you teeth on the car you have and then decide what you want.

George
George,

I really like the way my 993 is currently setup. I would have to spend money to downgrade my car for racing in stock class. I'd rather put the money towards going faster and not deal with making weight and scruits. I'm sure I'll still DE the 993 some more. If for some reason I want to get rid of the Cup I don't think I'd have any problem finding a buyer.

Think of the possibilities George; I would need a co-driver for enduros.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:35 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
Kevin my friend not only you are going down the slope, but you added weights to go even faster downhill
Hey Danny, haven't spoken with you in quite awhile. Hope you are doing well. I've got the racing bug real bad.

Were you able to squeeze in any racing into your schedule this year?
Take care.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Wow Kevin,

I'm gone a week and look what happens! I'm still on the fence about which way to go but am leaning towards a lower cost option. I'm going to watch how Glen's F class 1990 C4 does - if it's competitive I think I'll go that route. But I fully expect to move up to a faster car in due time and will probably stay with PCA club racing for the forseeable future.

I do still want the DAS bar for DE'ing my 993 next season. Who has it at MSR? I'm going to try and bribe someone with a truch (GEORGE!) to bring it back to Plano for me. Let me know who I should contact to set it up - get me your address and I'll mail you a check.

Ben
Old 11-06-2004, 02:26 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kev
Hey Danny, haven't spoken with you in quite awhile. Hope you are doing well. I've got the racing bug real bad.

Were you able to squeeze in any racing into your schedule this year?
Take care.
Thanks Kevin, my work schedule has been absolutely nuts this year so I have not been able to do anything unfortunately.
Hopefully that's gonna change next year...

Good luck to you!
Old 11-06-2004, 02:31 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kev
Think of the possibilities George; I would need a co-driver for enduros.
Well, in that case, get the cupcar. Please..........

Ben, I'll get the bar if you want. I'll be at MSR next weekend.

George
Old 11-06-2004, 11:02 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Just my two cents....

I have had a 996 GT3 Cup, as well as two 964 Cups. Out of all the cars I have raced, the 993 Cup has been the most fun.The 996 is so well balanced, an average driver can drive it fast. The the 964 is a car that you have a fine line of balance, you step over the line and it bites you. The 993 is a great mix of the 964 and the 996. You can drive it fast and still have some of the "tail wagging the dog", but go over the edge, and the bite isn't as bad. I also think that there is alway racing, even if only two or three 993s show up. Some of the 996 GT3 Cups aren't being driven at the maximum. It's kind of neat to be the underdog and beat better equipment

Finally, I believe the 996 Cups aren't going to hold their value like the 993s. Mainly because of the numbers produced. I also don't feel the 997 Cup is going to pull the 996 Cup values up. People that can afford a 996 Cup can afford a 997 Cup, they'll be plenty of 996s available down the road.

Go for it and don't look back!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:53 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I've got a car lined up. Can't wait for the race season to begin!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:56 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you buy the '96 that Lewis talked about.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:48 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Nope.
(will be sending you a PM later)

Quick Reply: Looking for a 993 Cupcar