993 Forum 1995-1998

Osram/Sylvania Silverstar bulb

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:53 AM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyN
I would think that it would be a great use for this bulb. My high beam is much improved as well. It draws 55W just like the OEM H1 bulb, so there won't be any current/wiring problems. But it does run hotter than OEM. I don't think that it's exccedingly hot (headlight lens is not hot after extended usage), but I have not used them long enough to be certain. There are others on this board that have used them longer than I have though.
It doesn't happen both ways: You won't have a 55W bulb that both produces more actual visible light AND more local heat. The only way a Silverstar (or any filament bulb) can produce more visible light from the 55 watts it is allowed to consume is to increase the efficiency of the conversion from electricity to visible light. If the efficency is increased and more light is produced, there will also be less 'heat'. Sorry, its physics.

The Silverstar bulb probably produces more light (higher lumen output) by using a filament that burns hotter by being thinner or shorter - the same wattage is consumed by a smaller radiating body, so that smaller radiating body (the filament) has a higher actual temperature, and more of the energy goes into the visible spectrum of light (whiter) than into the infrared spectrum (most of the heat produced). That hotter filament is also why the Silverstar bulb won't last as long as a typical halogen bulb. The use of the more expensive xenon as a filler gas increases the life of the bulb over cheaper gasses, but running the filament that much hotter still results in a shorter life.

Bottom line is the Silverstar bulbs are indeed a performance upgrade, should not increase heat issues in your bulb mount (assuming you are using the same wattage bulb), but will be more costly in terms of more frequent failures and a more expensive bulb to replace. You have to decide if the improvement will be worth that cost.

One caveat: any bluish coating on a bulb (which is used to make it "whiter") will reduce actual light output, and increase the amount of heat in the headlight assembly.

Chip
Old 11-06-2004, 01:48 PM
abar
Instructor

Just tried them in the dark. As others have reported, cleaning the lenses and upgraded bulbs make a large difference. My headlights have gone from being borderline dangerous (for spirited driving at night on unlit roads) to not bad at all.

Al.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Hi Tony,

Glad you like the bulbs. I noticed a big difference myself. As Chip mentions above, the Silverstars run hotter and thus, whiter.

The fact that the Euro versions don't have the blue tint on them, as you mentioned, may explain why they are "brighter".

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I may be able to get more of these (but would have to check). I would have to figure out the price for these because the ones I sold you were a little less than what I paid for them. I just didn't want all those extra pairs laying around.

Let me know if there's any interest.

Chuck
Old 11-07-2004, 12:00 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Chuck,

Count me in for a set for low and high beam.

BobbyT
Old 11-07-2004, 02:37 AM
jbuchsba
Advanced

Got 4 pairs via www.powerbulbs.com and had very good service and pricing. I have nothing to do with the company, just a happy customer.

Good luck.

jb
Old 11-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

BTW, for reference purposes, I paid $28/pair plus $4 shipping. So now you have something to compare them to if you see these elsewhere.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Chuck, Color me interested. Is it easy to clean the lenses BTW?
Old 11-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Originally Posted by Midnight C4S
Chuck, Color me interested. Is it easy to clean the lenses BTW?

Here's the DIY on p-car: http://p-car.com/diy/headlight/
Old 11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I just cleaned my headlights. Mine didn't have any clips that were fused together or glued. They just snap apart, and a little pulling/prying, you have the headlight in two pieces for easy cleaning. Then just snap back together and reinstall.

BobbyT
Old 11-07-2004, 05:27 PM
abar
Instructor

Yep, same as mine. Very easy job. Took about 15 mins to do both and fit new bulbs. Removing the headlights couldn't be easier, too.

Do it!

Quick Reply: Osram/Sylvania Silverstar bulb