Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I selling my car for too little? Too much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:00 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric… IMO the Chicagoland market might be a little soft right now. I‘m currently trying to sell my A6 Quattro and have not received a lot of attention yet (right season for me and not so good for you). Maybe too many rebates and finance options out there on new cars.

Hang in there, your car is too special to let go below actual market value. BTW…. Anybody need a daily winter workhorse in good condition?

Shameless promotion I guess! Sorry.

Last edited by LAURIER; 10-02-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:17 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with the other responses here in that if you have reduced the px to the point where you are generating interest then you are in the range of what the car is worth. I live in C.T. and actually looked at your car when it was listed for sale out of L.I. NY about 1.5 yrs ago before you purchased it. If I remember correctly it had aprox 38k and was listed for @$46k. The seller had not owned it for very long and I ended up not even driving the 50miles to look at it because for me it wasn't the "right" car. I think at just under 40k you should be able to sell it no problem. It is a popular color with some unique options. I ended up spending a little more for a 993 cab that had all the options I wanted with 1/2 the miles...good luck
Old 11-04-2004, 12:21 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since your car did not selll even at what you consider a low price you may want to think about selling/swapping the lintronics and sport seats out...I'm sure there are some on this board who would swap lights for $500-700. I would also part out the carbon interior esp as it isn't listed on the factory sticker anyways. Buyers are not going to give you much extra value for these anyways and you can probably net $1700-2500 extra.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:01 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
... you may want to think about selling/swapping the lintronics and sport seats out...
I've been reluctant to remove the stock options. Although very few buyers would ever have any idea that the car came with those options. I'm also not sure how many people would be interested in Rubicon gray seats.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:36 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in the real estate biz and basically you know you have it priced IF you are getting some interest. I think what may be causing you some heartburn is the options and what they originally cost. The problem, IMVHO, is that it's tough to get someone to pay for options at any where near their original cost...to continue the real estate analogy you can spend 25-30,000 on pool but there's no way you can get a commensurate bump in sales price. From what I've seen your car is priced in the range that it's going to move but as other's have mentioned it's starting to get cold in some parts so the cab demand may be softening. HOWEVER, I bought a Cab (have a coupe now) in the fall thinking it was too late to use it and (living in Dallas) it turned out the be the BEST time for drving with the top down. We have lot's of mild/sunny winter days in this area and the cab was a blast. It's just too damned hot in the summer to enjoy it.
Good Luck...if it was about 6 months from now you'd be getting an offer from me...or my wife since she's a NUT about 911 cabs.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:36 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have seen 'SPORT' seats commanding $2800 -- not sure if anyone is buying though???
Old 11-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Simple; if it doesn't sell, price is too high. Then you reduce the price till it does sell. What's so hard about that?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:46 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO I think it's priced right to sell, considering time of year and options.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:49 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

$2,800 ?!?! Geez, ok, who wants 'em??!! Alas, I'm sure the market for Rubicon gray seats is very limited. Grrr.

88911Coupe- i agree that buyers won't pay the full price for options/mods. But people are generally asking about 1/2 the original MSRP for 1996 993's, which puts most prices around $38,000. If I do the same, I should be asking over $45,000! I guess the reality is that people will pay nearly nothing for the extra options, which I find weird. Ok, who wants my sport seats?!
Old 11-04-2004, 01:50 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a basis of comparison I know of a white '95 C2 cabrio that was all bone stock with 61K miles and all the records which just sold last week for $33,500. I had a PPI done and it came out with flying colors. Only problem was the seller who agreed on a price of $32K and then increased his price when I was ready to write him the check. Apparently someone else had contacted him and offered his full price. Crazy thing was, he said if he didn't need to be hassled taking the car a long distance for another buyer to get the PPI done he'd sell it for $32K. I never even suggested the lower price in the first place!!! I passed on the car just on principle (hope it wasn't a mistake). When my mechanic found out he gave me half my PPI money back and said, "man that one was clean...too bad." This car was a CA garage queen and pretty much perfect, so IMHO I figure add another $5K or so for mods to this and thats probably a fair price for yours if somebody wants all the extra goodies.

Now will someone please show me a 60K mile '95 C2 coupe here in So. CA thats lowered with 18s and records in the low $30K's so I can get on with it and buy one already!?! Pretty Please?????
Old 11-04-2004, 01:55 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
Simple; if it doesn't sell, price is too high. Then you reduce the price till it does sell. What's so hard about that?
Ray, I disagree somewhat because of the limited number of people seeking a loaded 993 cab. So the right buyer might pay over $40k and think they got a great deal, but if there aren't many "right" buyers out there at a given point, then it will only sell for very cheap. So I may be better off keeping the price high and just waiting.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'd say to sell off the carbon interior IMHO!! you simply will NEVER get the resale out of it ...probably someone in chicagoland area would even be willing to swap????

(NO, I'm not interested.. sorry)
Old 11-04-2004, 02:06 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
As a basis of comparison I know of a white '95 C2 cabrio that was all bone stock with 61K miles and all the records which just sold last week for $33,500. I had a PPI done and it came out with flying colors. Only problem was the seller who agreed on a price of $32K and then increased his price when I was ready to write him the check. Apparently someone else had contacted him and offered his full price. Crazy thing was, he said if he didn't need to be hassled taking the car a long distance for another buyer to get the PPI done he'd sell it for $32K. I never even suggested the lower price in the first place!!! I passed on the car just on principle (hope it wasn't a mistake). When my mechanic found out he gave me half my PPI money back and said, "man that one was clean...too bad." This car was a CA garage queen and pretty much perfect, so IMHO I figure add another $5K or so for mods to this and thats probably a fair price for yours if somebody wants all the extra goodies.

Now will someone please show me a 60K mile '95 C2 coupe here in So. CA thats lowered with 18s and records in the low $30K's so I can get on with it and buy one already!?! Pretty Please?????
I'd sell you mine but it is a '97 and it already has many goodies..it would not be in the low 30's though, probably not even in the low 40's.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:14 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

After looking around for 993s for several months, it looks about on par...I don't think it is too low necessarily [of course, that depends on options]...I suppose that it depends on where in the country you live, but I have searched on AutoTrader.com for unlimited distance from me [GA] and found pricing all over the place. I have found that the Narrow Body coupe market with manual tranny is around $35-38K for an excellent condition car around 40K miles. Just my .02

Good luck and I'm glad that you know about the scammers--the woman whose car I'm looking at buying tomorrow has had 3 calls with people offering her more $ than she is asking, then telling her to send back the difference in a check...VERY shady.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw at one at LA Motorcars in Dallas that is a '95 with 68k miles for $29,900. I know it's less car, but that's a BIG price difference for a few miles and vario-ram. Just as a point of reference.

Quick Reply: Am I selling my car for too little? Too much?