Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bled clutch slave and calipers - very dirty fluid - why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bled clutch slave and calipers - very dirty fluid - why?

Guys -

I'm looking for some help in analyzing some recent observations. About 6 weeks ago I did a complete brake/clutch flush in order to replace my ATE fluid with Castrol SRF. I removed the old fluid from the reservoir and flushed and entire liter of Castrol through all the calipers and the clutch slave.

I noticed that the fluid coming out of the LR caliper (first to flush) was VERY dark and had noticeable black specs floating out of the caliper. It did clear up (but not that quickly) and I had the same type of flush from each of the calipers - diminishing as i went through. I've flushed my brakes dozens of times and had never seen this much dark fluid or the dark specs before.

About 2 weeks ago my clutch pedal started squeeking VERY loudly. Now I've had both the clutch slave and master as well as the line between them replaced in the last year - and I had a new clutch installed recently as well so the TO bearing is good. I listened around the car while the clutch pedal was actuating and with the floor board out the sound was clearly coming from the clutch master cylinder area.

So I bought 2 liters of ATE and reflushed the entire system. I put about 700 cc of fluid through the slave and 200 cc through each of the calipers. Again - the slave bleed fluid was virtually black - and had specs in it. It took a good 250 cc for it to clear out completely. Then at each of the calipers I noticed whitish, fibrous chunks floating out - more when I banged on the calipers with a dead blow. They looked almost like bits of saturated paper (I know it's not but that's what it looked like) coming out.

After the flush the squeeking clutch is now silent - but I suspect something is disintegrating in the brake/clutch system. Any ideas what it might be? I'll flush again in a couple of weeks to see if it's dirty again.

Ben

ps- while underneath I also found that my steering rack has started leaking
Old 11-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Ben in Plano, TX
Pro

Bumping this up in case anyone in the Monday morning crowd had any ideas. Any chance I coudl have problems with my brake master cylinder?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:41 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

The only other thing I could think of is that there are deposits in the lines from the brake fluid reservoir to the master. Has anyone ever replaced them or the actual reservoir itself? If so, did you notice anything unusual?

George
Old 11-01-2004, 11:28 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

We always got these little black floaties on the race car. Even though the brakes were bled two or three times every day of running the car. We were told is was just contaminants from within the caliper. I'll have to ask the PFC rep I deal with, the next time I see him..

Quick Reply: Bled clutch slave and calipers - very dirty fluid - why?