Sponsored by:

PET CD's being sold: Legal too

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:26 PM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John D.
As well - Porsche part numbers ARE protected. Ask any non-authorized dealer what they can "list" as order numbers in their catalog....

Just an FYI....

John D.
Thanks for the info bite of the day, John. That would explain all those goofy three character prefixes on factory parts from Pelican, for example, that replace the factory 911., 930., 993. etc. numbers...

Tim
Old 11-01-2004, 12:27 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
As well - Porsche part numbers ARE protected. Ask any non-authorized dealer what they can "list" as order numbers in their catalog....

Just an FYI....

John D.
You can't trademark a number or copyright a list of numbers in the USA so how the hell do they get away with this? Is it just that no one has bothered?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You can't trademark a number or copyright a list of numbers in the USA so how the hell do they get away with this? ....
Well - you can trademark the Triangular “P”®, which appears on all Porsche Authorized parts - which they have successfully claimed and defended as part of their "mark".

Second, the Porsche Authorized part, with that registered mark - has the "Porsche Part Number". By virtue of combining the Registered Mark with the part number - the basis to the protection is in "..which Porsche has developed substantial goodwill" - which again, is defensible and is associated to both the number in conjunction with Triangular “P” - and certification that the "part" is in compliance with national safety regulations (TUV, DOT, whatever...).

Third, there are also "after market" producers of many parts, which will not have the Triangular “P” (they can not use it, as they are not licensed), and therefore, a legal position can be rendered that by allowing use of the "Porsche Part Numbers", a reasonable person may be confused as to what parts may be "Porsche Authorized" and/or certified (claims as to dilution and confusion on their original mark), which Porsche takes reasonable efforts to protect.

However - my disclaimer is......

I'm not a lawyer, so the opinion provided in this reply may be somewhat offensive to greater legal minds who may - or may not - know what they are talking about. If you are easily offended then we suggest you are a good lawyer - or at least a lawyer. You must also agree that you will not hold Rennlist.com liable for any damages caused by the viewing my replies. In no way do these replies portray the direct opinion of Rennlist.com or our owners, users, Member, Sponsors, readers, or those who do not visit the site. Please be advised that I have adopted a strict rubber-glue policy. Any nasty thing that your lawyers say about my post above bounces off of me and sticks back to you. Be further advised that you agree to pay my legal expenses if I decide to sue you for violating this agreement or for any other reason that might strike my fancy. Violations will be punishable by fine, imprisonment, death, any two of the above, or all three, at my sole option.....

Quick Reply: PET CD's being sold: Legal too