Rear Spoiler Won't Go Up, Possible Short

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler Won't Go Up, Possible Short

Rear spoiler won't go up. I've read some of the posts but I don't think the issue is mechanical. The fuse for the spoiler was blown. When I tried to replace, the replacement blew immediately. A short? Has anyone encountered this and have any suggestions of where to start? I am electrically incompetent so be gentle with me please. Greg D's posts are helpful as I know how to take apart and dig around but what to do next?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:07 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

First, check that there is no obstruction or binding of the external spoiler gears. If that is okay-
Remove the drive cable from the spoiler drive electric motor. With a new fuse installed have someone push the spoiler switch and see if the electric motor turns. If it does, and sounds okay, you probably have a seized bearing or jammed gears in the spoler drive (aka spoiler transmission)

max

Last edited by max911; 10-25-2004 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:32 AM
dale_loch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Father of Three,
While standing in the rear of the car, the drive mechanism for the spoiler is on your left (drivers side). There will be a plastic cover that goes over the gear mechanism. Remove the plastic cover cover and check for obstruction as Max pointed out above. There is a drive cable that goes from the motor to the gear set. Again, follow Max's instructions to see if the motor is bad, or if your gear set is bound up.

Good luck,

Dale
Old 10-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Possible jam: The little rubber nut covers on the underside of the spoiler can work loose and get in the gear mechanism.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Won't Go Up, Possible Short