Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

size of front door woofers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004 | 11:33 AM
gst
Instructor

Default size of front door woofers?

I am planning to upgrade the stock front speakers with aftermarket speakers. I noticed that the stock speakers were each covered by a plastic round enclosure supposedly for diverting rain water. Do i need to reuse the enclosures? It seems that all the aftermarket speakers have larger magnet and wont fit inside the enclosure.

Would appreciate advice and comment from those who had front speakers replaced.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2004 | 02:47 PM
jusafan
Instructor

I redid mine, and found that the stock speaker, 5" I believe, is too small for most of the good aftermarket mods, which come in at about 6.5". So, I suggest you'd be best to make the hole just a bit larger, and go with 6.5" speaker components. In most cases, the stock tweeter housing will work just fine for any of the aftermarket upgrades. So your only mod will be for the mid/base speaker. The look won't change much in terms of finish, but you'll be a lot happier with the sound.
Old 10-24-2004 | 09:56 PM
gst
Instructor

thanks Jusafan

i am prepared to go aftermarket but do i need to fabricate a new housing for the rear of the larger aftermarket speakers? Will there be an issue of water seeping onto the rear of the speaker if the housing is discarded?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2004 | 09:59 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

I put 6.5" MB Quart components in the doors. They had to cut the hole a little bigger (5 1/4 stock) but kept the shield.
Old 10-25-2004 | 12:27 AM
jusafan
Instructor

No need to fabricate a special housing, as the door is pretty well sealed. Some installers may want to use a little insulation in the door just behind the speaker, but, while that won't hurt, it's not necessary. One thing, though, you will need to make sure you get speakers that don't have a lot of depth, as the space inside the door is rather narrow. Focal and MB Quart work just fine. There are others that may also not have a great deal of depth and work okay too, you just have to check around. I haven't heard of any issues about water seeping inside the door. Maybe others on this forum may have some experience to offer in that regard. The stock, non HiFi option didn't seem to have any special containment inside the door, and they seemed to hold up fine with no evidence of water leakage or damage. Hope that answers your questions. :-)

Thanks for the correction on the stock speaker size, PedroNole. BTW, I have the MB Quart 6.5" components as well. They sound great.

Quick Reply: size of front door woofers?