993 Forum 1995-1998

RECARO SPEED SEAT

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 01:39 AM
DJD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RECARO SPEED SEAT

I just had the five point Recaro Speed seat installed in my 97 C2S and thought I would make a few comments for anyone looking at this seat.
First, the seat is very comfortable and well made. I could not imagine a seat making such a difference in how it feels to drive my car. I am now secure and no longer moving side to side on hard turns. Its a huge improvment IMHO.
The install is not an easy task and the seat has to be modified to fit... the tilt adjustment **** on the tunel side has to be removed and the shaft its attached to has to have about 1" cut off, hence that **** will never be back on that side.
The seat also is wide enough as to make contact with the drivers door, but its not so close as not to be able to slide the seat belt past that point.
I bought mine at Speedware Motor sports. It arrived quick and in good shape, only wish they would send some instructions on the seat brackets, mine had to be modified just a bit,and instructions would have helped.. Just ask Hose B at Aase Motors!!
Old 10-24-2004, 04:20 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

DJD:

Great post! I think observations like yours are very useful for the many folks who contemplate installing aftermarket seats for better support & comfort.

I would just add that seat fitment is always the most critical factor and including one's personal dimensions gives a good snapshot of whether they will fit a particular model of seat. Posting your height, weight, and inseam tells people if that seat might work as well for them,...............
Old 10-24-2004, 12:22 PM
kary993
Drifting

DJD, you hit on a very important point that many people new to car customization do not understand. That is these seats (or any other sport/race type products) are not turn key products that fit straight away in a 993 (or other cars for that matter). It does take some modification at times to make them work as you pointed out with the adjustment ****. Mounting brackets for the seat are yet another issue. Most people are looking for more head room due to helmet height which really becomes the issue. People want to maintain seat sliding, factory belts, 6 pint belts, and have 4 inches of addition head clearance over their stock seats. While this can be achieved something needs to compromise. Understanding what you are willing to compromise will allow you to select the proper product for your needs. Just thought I would mention this sense I deal with it every week!
Old 10-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can anyone comment on the difference in seat height with the recaro speed sliders? i know there are two sets: standard and low profile. while i understand that most enjoy the extra headroom that the low profile sliders offer- i have a petite wife who barely reaches the clutch in stock/electric seats to consider. my question is which sliders to get. my need is a comfortable, supportive sport seat that is adjustable and able to accomadate the wife. height is not a major concern. too low is no good.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Freier
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

DJD great post. Can you show us what the finished product looks like.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:28 AM
DJD
Instructor

Sorry I mised that Steve. That would help quite a bit. I am 6 foot and about 175 lbs. I will post a few photos later this week, and yet another review of the Bilstien HDs and M030 Sways I had installed today and the shop that did the work!! They were amazing..... see review along with photos later this week.

Quick Reply: RECARO SPEED SEAT