Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Schroth 4 point belt question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004 | 05:00 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default Schroth 4 point belt question

After doing the research about different harnesses, one particular caution flag seemed to stand out: don't use a 4 point harness; the submarining effect could be deadly. I find this particularly interesting since so many companies manufacture and sell the 4 point belts.
Now to my question: Schroth manufactures the 4 point ASM (anti-submarine) belt. This belt is approved for street driving and supposedly takes car of the traditional problems of 4 point belts.
As I want to add Cobra Daytona (or similar) reclining sport seats, I figure this type of restraint may be well suited for my needs.
Any experience with these? BTW, these harnesses can be upgraded to 5 or 6 point belts.
Old 10-22-2004 | 06:21 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got to go with 5 or 6 point harness.

BTW, any female companion can no longer wear a skirt.
Old 10-22-2004 | 06:50 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

I used the 3" competition version of that harness for a few DEs. Was I taking a risk; perhaps. Driving to the track was probably more dangerous though than the DE itself. I thought it worked well, and improved my safety since I was no longer bracing myself awkwardly at speed in Road Atlanta corners.

If you're gonna do numerous DEs a year or club race, might as well work out the sub belt challenges.

Just an opinion. No flames please
Old 10-22-2004 | 07:00 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

So I am getting the impression that people don't feel the ASM fetaure of the Schroth 4-point really works?
If that is the case, is it ok to attach the dual anti-sub straps without the added holes in the seat and simply sit on the straps before connecting them?
Old 10-22-2004 | 07:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex, It's not clear what you are asking. You can use a Schroth 6-point belt with a stock seat by running the sub belt through the back of the set (and sit on it) when the seat does not have the proper hole in it for a sub belt. It works better than one might expect (I did it for a year of DE).

What belts you use depend on your club rules and your view of what's safe. Our PCA requires 5- ot 6-point belts so a 4 point is not an option. Many other clubs out here allow you to use the stock 3-point belt. I happen to think a 4-point belt can be better than a 3-point belt. I also think a 5- or 6-point is better than a 4-point.

If you do install an after market belt with the stock seat, I would recommend getting a strap to hold the shoulder belts together (in effect creating an H-style belt) so that the shoulder belts stay on your shoulders and the seat doesn't allow them to slide off (and you go flying making the 4 or more-point belt less effective than a 3-point belt). This prospect is why many people don't like shoulder harnesses with stock seats (no holes the keep them in place).
Old 10-23-2004 | 11:38 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info Tom.

Actually, the seats I have looking at (Cobra Daytona among others) are the recling style sport seats that have holes for the 4 point harness but not a bottom seat hole for the 5/6 point harness. I also looked at the Recaro Speed (has the hole) but could not fit well.
When you say "run it through the back of the seat" could you elaborate on where/how you place the sub belt mounting?

BTW, Just drove through Half Moon Bay on 1 after running the Big Sur Half Marathon this weekend - must be nice to be on the water!!! If only Ohio was on the coast
Thanks alot,

Alex
Old 10-23-2004 | 01:11 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex, I meant that with a folding back seat, you can run the sub belt between the seat and the seat back and sit on the sub belt.
Old 10-23-2004 | 07:53 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Where would the actual connection points for the sub strap be on the car, relative to the seat?
Old 10-24-2004 | 12:51 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by akolodesh
Where would the actual connection points for the sub strap be on the car, relative to the seat?
Is this what you need?

First pic shows the 6 point Sabelt. The crotch belt is routed in the split of the seat pan.

No2 shows the factory provided points on the passenger side.

No3 shows the driver side with the rings in place. Good luck
Attached Images    
Old 10-24-2004 | 12:57 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

thanks Monique
Old 10-24-2004 | 12:59 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ooops, forgot... The 2 silver protrusions ( I placed sockets in the holes) in the carpet of pic 2 is where the lap belt bolt points are located, also factory installed.

For the shoulder harness, these are attached to points located on the back shelf. If you need a pic to help you locate, just ask.

With the Sabelt setup, your rear seat is unuseable; matters not for moi, there was no rear seats in the first place
Old 10-24-2004 | 01:08 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

aah... see them. makes sense. Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2004 | 01:26 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Monique
Got to go with 5 or 6 point harness.

BTW, any female companion can no longer wear a skirt.
LOL, not entirely true. I haven't had any problem convincing girls with skirts or dresses on to let me help them strap in.
Old 10-24-2004 | 04:30 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I know. My wife does not mind... neither do the passersby :-)
Old 10-24-2004 | 04:53 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by poorb0yw
LOL, not entirely true. I haven't had any problem convincing girls with skirts or dresses on to let me help them strap in.
Princeton, Monique meant inside the car, not at home

Quick Reply: Schroth 4 point belt question