Sponsored by:

Water Leak between panels under speedo and clock

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003 | 09:55 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Water Leak between panels under speedo and clock

I was out when it rained heavily today. Got back into the car and noticed water in between the two panels in the speedo/clock area (rhd). Hope it doesnt effect the electrics around the area.

Was wondering how it got there. Had a look from the outside and the only place I could think of was the front at the centre just below the wipers, where the small grill is.

Had a look there and noticed that the area surrounding the grill and its cover was clogged up with dirt.
I supposed water could have seeped through because of the dirt. I unscrewed the grill/cover , cleaned it all up and screwed it back in. I also noticed that the top part of panel that covers the grill had space left at the top after screwing it back in. Im not sure whether it was enough space to allow water through.

If not that, are there any other places I could look that may have allowed rainwater to seep through into that area.
Old 05-18-2003 | 09:27 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Bins, I have writen a hundred times here about the leak I had. If you have had your windshield replaced and the shop did a shoddy job, then the water could be coming in under the seal on the top and sides, falling down the sides under the seal and then leaking through at the very bottom corners. Then when you drive the car the motion causes the water to move around and find its way into small places. I knew I was in trouble the first time it dripped on my leg and then I looked in the corners and saw water puddled up in the corner of the dash. As soon as I would accelerate, I would see the water roll down the dash, into the air vents and under the lower dash until it dripped on my legs.

Hope that helps.

E. J.
Old 05-18-2003 | 09:43 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry EJ, I did a search but obviously wasnt paying close enough attention last night and didnt relate the windshield leak to this.
Old 05-18-2003 | 01:01 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I have a cab with a similar leak...never had the windshield replaced but may be leaking from the top seal? Could this be why my radio turns itself on when it wants to?
Old 05-18-2003 | 01:07 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a mysterious leak before not too unlike yours. I took the opportunity to go to the werks1 factory and ask about the leak.

After alot of too..ing and fro..ing the head guy said it was the winsheild. He commented that the only place water could get in was from there.
I would suspect this in any leak around the front of the 993.
Tito.
Old 05-18-2003 | 01:09 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

alternator/battery
Old 05-18-2003 | 01:10 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

ignore the 'alternator/battery ' -the list seems to have hiccuped -I was on a different thread and it posted it hear.
Tito
Old 05-18-2003 | 07:13 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought I would check under the seal of the bottom corners of the windshield. Yep, water is just sitting there with nowhere to go except maybe down, plus a little rust.
Odd thing is that there didnt seem to be any water under the seals on the middle sides or the middle bottom , though whatever may have been left could have dried.

I was thinking if anything else can be done except for replacing the windshield, eg, some kind of lubricant under the seal. Maybe using something like Pedro's might help.
Old 05-18-2003 | 08:20 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Bins, certainly wasn't commenting on your search results, just stating that the windshield seal seems like a source of water leaks for a lot of these cars, including yours.

Good luck with the chase. It seems to me like the outer seal is supposed to keep the water out of the inner portion, so maybe start by having a good glass shop replace that?

E. J.

Quick Reply: Water Leak between panels under speedo and clock