Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone used Safelite in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 03:47 PM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone used Safelite in Chicago?

Went on a beautiful drive this morning...crisp air, a bit of sun together with the fall colors and the music of my flat 6 just singing away (it couldn't get any better right?). As I was heading home, a truck threw up a nice size rock as it passed me going the other way...end result: a big crack in the windshield.

My insurance company is recommending Safelite. Has anyone used them in the Chicagoland area? I called one out by my house to see if they had any experience with 993s and they got a bit snotty with me. I searched the archives and have seen both good and bad info about these guys.

Any info would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 10-21-2004, 04:44 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my windshield replaced at their southside location. You've probably seen my threads ranting about them-- they quoted my about $450 then just before my install said it was like $1000 or so. I got MAD and they found some piece of glass in another state or something (although I think they actually installed Sigla) for under $500. But I don't think that price is possible anymore since they quit making their own glass for 993's.

The installer seemed to be ok. He failed to cover up a scratch that he made on the a-piller until I pointed it out. And his caulking job was only so-so. But I don't think that going to a dealer would be any better (cuz I think dealers will send the car straight to Safelite). But they didn't need to disassemble the dash or anything to get to the antenna wire; they were able to just reach in and connect it, which told me that he had some experience with 993's.

p.s. is this covered by your insurance or something? If so, I need a new provider!!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:52 PM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

It is covered by my insurance, but with Safelite only. If I take it anywhere else, I have to pay a $75 deductable, which still isn't bad considering some of the prices I've seen on this board. Is there another shop outside of Safelite that would be better? I'm only out $75 if I go with them.

I drive my 993 <5000 miles a year so I went to Leland West for their Leisure Use plan. They cover quite a bit of things, I just have limited usage of the car.

Thanks for the info...
Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safelite replaced the windshield on my ’95 993 in 2001 (1 week prior to the Parade – leap of faith). I asked for an installer that had done Porsche’s before and asked him a few questions on the phone. He did an excellent job and was very familiar with the car (dash, antenna etc.). I had OE glass installed (dealer glass to them).

Eric, my insurance co., USAA, paid 100% and did not question the request for OE glass.

Last edited by LAURIER; 10-21-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone used Safelite in Chicago?